Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!! :wavey:

So I'm looking to regear my JK from 3.21 to 4.56. I'm not doing this on my own and am going to get this professionally done.

I was just wondering how much I should expect to pay to regear and if theres anything else i'll need to do this upgrade. Btw i'm pretty knew to Jeeps so any help would be great!!

My Jeep:
2012 Jeep Altitude, 3.6L Engine, 3.21 Axle Ratio (Currently)

Thanks Guys!!

·
Registered
178 Posts
That's a big rear gear. I hope you will be getting bigger tires as well or else it's going to mess with your MPGs big time. To rear gear front and back look to spend around $800 for both with rebuild kits and then paying for install prob another $500 depending on where you get it done. Prices could be more or less just depends where you get stuff from and if you go lockers too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do plan on putting on a 2.5" suspension lift from AEV, and eventually putting on 35's, right now i'm just looking for how much it would cost me to regear.

I did have another question though, what kind of MPG's should i expect after i put on my 35s and 2.5" lift?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Your mileage may vary (pun intended) but you'll usually drop a mile or two per gallon when you go to that size tire. The weight and aerodynamics of larger tires is just something you can't get around.

As far as cost, go talk to the shop you're going to take it to. Ask them what they would charge and what all you'll need. They may give you a discount if they buy the gears and install kits. You'll be buying new carriers front and rear since you're crossing the carrier breaks so plan on a couple hundred each for those. It's a good idea to think about dropping a little bit more (a few hundred each) on lockers since you're doing all that work anyway.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
In addition, decide what tires you ultimately want to run. It does you no good to regear now at 4:56 with the intention of going bigger later. You will save a $hit ton of money to do everything to your axles all at once.

I'm not sure about your JK but my TJ needs 4:56 gears for 33" tires and would need 4:88 gears for 35" tires.

Planning will be your best investment!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was quoted something similar for over $1200.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts