Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94’ 2.5L YJ and currently have 4.10 gears on both axles. I think that’s stock. But since I have 33” my Jeep feels “gutless”. To what gearing should I look into getting on my rear axle? And would regearing give me more ”power”. A 4.0 isn’t an option lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If it's a 5 speed you need 4.88 or 5.13... if it's an auto 4.56

Lower gears will give you more snap off the line and allow running in a higher gear at a given speed but no they will not give you more power... the 2.5 was a dog w stock tires and will be more of a dog w bigger tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The formula is pretty easy based on tire height. Your stock 215/75/15 were about 27.5" tall.

New / Old * Current Gear Ratio = New Gear Ratio

33 / 27.5 = 1.2

1.2 * 4.11 = 4.93

So 4.88's will essentially set your speedometer back to correct and restore your stock power. 5.13's will give you a little more rpm overall.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
One should not use 2.5L and power in the same sentence. LOL. There are hundreds of threads and sites that say I did x,y and z to my 2.5 and I feel like it has a ton more power. There are only three ways to truly add power to your 2.5.....super charge it, turbo charge it or engine swap.

Remember a 70 hp 4 cylinder Jeep is what our heros drove in WW2.

·
Registered
836 Posts
5.13 would be my choice with a 5 speed

·
Registered
9,000 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
4.88's as mentioned will bring it back to stock with the 4 banger and be able to utilize 5th gear again. Put em in my 95' a few months ago.

·
Registered
836 Posts
4.88's as mentioned will bring it back to stock with the 4 banger and be able to utilize 5th gear again. Put em in my 95' a few months ago.
Don't necessarily want just stock specs with 33" tires on a 2.5 you need a little extra to turn those big tires. 5.13 is as low as a D30/D35 can be geared and will give about 150 higher RPM over 4.88.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would 5.13 gears be an overkill, or just right? Compared to 4.88s

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There's very little difference between 4.88 and 5.13
5.13 would put you at just a little higher rpm and have you downshifting less...

Play with both here

https://www.randysworldwide.com/calculators/rpm

Btw 5.13 will put your 5th gear rpm's at a given speed the almost the exact same as your 4th gear is now....

Sooooo go drive your jeep on the highway in 4th.... that's what 5.13's will be like in 5th

The SHORT answer is go w 5.13.... 5.38 would be better but isn't available

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's very little difference between 4.88 and 5.13
5.13 would put you at just a little higher rpm and have you downshifting less...

Play with both here

https://www.randysworldwide.com/calculators/rpm

Btw 5.13 will put your 5th gear rpm's at a given speed the almost the exact same as your 4th gear is now....

Sooooo go drive your jeep on the highway in 4th.... that's what 5.13's will be like in 5th

The SHORT answer is go w 5.13.... 5.38 would be better but isn't available

Thanks, I pretty much never use 5th gear right now with 4.10s, so I’ll be able to after

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ll go with the 5.13s, any brand I should go with or avoid?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Not really BUT... you need to discuss that with whoever is setting up your gears... he may have a preference or even refuse to install parts you supply.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts