Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 jku with 3:21 and want to run 35's. However being 2013 and 100,000 mile warranty I'll probably have to get a dealer to do it so it doesn't mess with the
warranty. So my question is has anyone went to a dealer to get this done? And how much damage ($) am I looking at?

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
Most dealers do not have qualified techs to regear a differential. Regearing will not void your warranty

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most dealers do not have qualified techs to regear a differential. Regearing will not void your warranty
True most don't but the dealer I bought from builds rigs. They actually build quadratecs jeep giveaway vehicles. I was just worried about dishing out the extra $'s for extended warranty just to screw it up.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If your extended warranty is with Chrysler, your new gears won't be covered under the Chrysler warranty. The regearing shouldn't affect the other parts of the warranty, however. The dealer may warranty the gears they install, but that's no different than a 4x4 shop that warrants their work.

I wouldn't trust a dealer do my gears, and I'd be willing to bet they will be more expensive than a good 4x4 shop. My local shop charged $1500 for my 4.88 gears, but they were also doing lockers at the same time so labor costs may not be comparable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your extended warranty is with Chrysler, your new gears won't be covered under the Chrysler warranty. The regearing shouldn't affect the other parts of the warranty, however. The dealer may warranty the gears they install, but that's no different than a 4x4 shop that warrants their work. I wouldn't trust a dealer do my gears, and I'd be willing to bet they will be more expensive than a good 4x4 shop. My local shop charged $1500 for my 4.88 gears, but they were also doing lockers at the same time so labor costs may not be comparable.
Good point and thanks

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I should have said I wouldn't trust "my" dealer to do my gears. As an example, I took my jeep into the dealer for a rear main seal leak under the 5-yr. powertrain warranty. I picked it up and a few days later it was at my 4x4 shop to do the gears/locker install. Turns out the dealer didn't tighten/torque the bolts when they reinstalled the transmission. :facepalm: You could literally turn a couple of the bolts by hand. Fortunately, my shop caught it when they were working on the axles. Hopefully, your dealer is better than that. I'd still recommend getting quotes from both the dealer and at least one (locally recommended) shop that does ring & pinion work on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Even if you had the dealer do it (They probably can't), it'll still void your warranty in certain ways. The warranty wont cover the gears, and likely won't cover the axles at all because if you break an axle its because you put too much torque through it with lower gears (according to them), and god knowswhat they might say.

Honestly, I would do whatever you want with *YOUR* jeep. Likely if you break anything attached to the axle you'd be better off with something aftermarket anyhow. They cant void the warranty for the whole jeep.

That said, my jeep had a broken front axle housing when I bought it. The dealership simply swapped an entire brand new front axle into it, including the differential, axles, and they never could tell me if it came with new balljoints. They basically bolted it to the shocks and control arms and popped my old brakes on it. I bought my jeep as-is, used, but they were making good on it as it was an extreme safety issue and they basically sold me a jeep that had been wrecked and lied about it and I think they knew i was about to sue them. So they were paying for it 100%..... But would they really replace the entire front axle, if they could just get a housing and pop the old equipment back in it?

And furthermore i had all sorts of death wobble problems after i got it back because of the track bar.... and they didnt have a clue what caused it and just tried to claim it didnt have the problem.

I'm perfectly happy with my jeep now though and wouldn't give it up for anything.

And i still need that regear LOL.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I should have said I wouldn't trust "my" dealer to do my gears. As an example, I took my jeep into the dealer for a rear main seal leak under the 5-yr. powertrain warranty. I picked it up and a few days later it was at my 4x4 shop to do the gears/locker install. Turns out the dealer didn't tighten/torque the bolts when they reinstalled the transmission. :facepalm: You could literally turn a couple of the bolts by hand. Fortunately, my shop caught it when they were working on the axles. Hopefully, your dealer is better than that. I'd still recommend getting quotes from both the dealer and at least one (locally recommended) shop that does ring & pinion work on a regular basis.
Such a simple oversight that any mechanic could have overlooked at the end of a 14 hour shift. This is why i always re-check a mechanics work, every time.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Such a simple oversight that any mechanic could have overlooked at the end of a 14 hour shift. This is why i always re-check a mechanics work, every time.
I agree, although it's a little harder to re-check a mechanics work installing gears and lockers, so I'm glad to have a local shop i have confidence in for this type of work. Maybe because I know the owner, and know that he stands behind his work, but also he and his small crew work 9-5, not 14-hr. shifts, and they work exclusively on jeeps. I have a trust in them that I would never have with a dealer.

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
True most don't but the dealer I bought from builds rigs. They actually build quadratecs jeep giveaway vehicles. I was just worried about dishing out the extra $'s for extended warranty just to screw it up.
My daughter can bolt on Smitty built crap for Quadratec. That doesn't mean she can regear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts