Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I by accident posted this in the silly "YJ" forum, but I have a TJ.

would someone mind elaborating on everything needed to regear? i have a 98 4.0 with 33's on 3.73's. 35 in the back and 30 in the front. i thought i read somewhere else that if i go to like a 4.56 i need to :eek: SWAP alxes!:eek: because theyre not big enough? i saw 4x4groupbuy has front/rear with overhaul kit for $460. is that all i'd need to buy or do i need bigger axle's/housings? i dont do the whole jacked sideways rock crawling, just some trails/mud/DD. any input you guys got i'd appreciate it- thanks

http://www.4x4groupbuy.com/store/superior-gears-dana-with-master-install-kits-p-5219.html

also, how hard is this to do yourself? i know my way around the toolbox, but i didnt know if this is like "auto transmission surgery"... something i do need to pay a professional to do so i dont screw it up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you go to 4:56's you are ok. The D30 will fit 3:73 to 4:88's, and the D35 will fit 3:55 to 4:56's, without needing to change carriers. As far as doing it yourself, unless you have the correct tools. and knowledge, this is something I would recommend having a pro do....IMHO.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I have watched people do it, and I marvel at how well they know their trade. It has to be done with shims, and has to be correctly seated, or you will have a bunch of chewed up gear teeth, in the bottom of your diff.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,852 Posts
If it is any consolation...

I have built tons of jeeps big and small. From 30's to 44's with custom suspension and complete rebuilds. I pay for 2 services! Exhaust and gear work. I don't have the patience to learn it for some reason. It is worth $125/axle to know a professional took care of me in a matter of days.

The good thing is I know all the technical aspects of gear setup so I know what is correct. I studied gear setups for a long time before I knew it wasn't for me. I believe in checking the pattern before the diff cover is slapped back into place. Might be something worth reading up on before paying someone to do the work. I would also check out their work before they work on my axles.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it is a bad idea to put money in a D-35.
The going rate is $275 per axle around here, I found a truck mechanic to do both of mine on a saturday for $300.
I started to do it myself with cheep tools; don't try it without a quality gear puller.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
but how much does a quality gear puller cost??

more then like $80???

im sure in Mass, that it wil be double as much as anywhere else to get anything done, escpecially since minimum wage has been raised to almost double the national min.

anyway, any write ups???

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
well that helps me see what i would need to do

seems like a full weekend project or even two weekends worth

hmmmmmmmmm

1 - 12 of 12 Posts