Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I am new here, and I am looking to buy my first jeep tomorrow. Here are the specs and it would be great if I could get some advice on whether or not it's agoos year model along with the specs and price.

Specs:

2006 jeep wrangler se
6 speed manual with 4 cylinder
77k miles
Soft top
Price is $12500 (has KBB of $10800)

I am hoping to get the seller to come down a bit on the price but what do you guys think about the price?

Also, is this year model a good reliable one because this will be my main vehicle?

What MPG can I expect?

Thank you everybody.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
:welcome: to the WF!

For what the seller is asking that thing needs to be immaculate! One of the reasons why I think he's over-priced is due to the 4 cylinder engine. Despite what people may think, they don't do any better on gas than the I6 does and doesn't have the torque.

If it were me, I'd either offer $9k to start. Actually, if it were me, I'd look for the I6 Wrangler.

Just my opinion.

Mac :wavey:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everybody, I am new here, and I am looking to buy my first jeep tomorrow. Here are the specs and it would be great if I could get some advice on whether or not it's agoos year model along with the specs and price.

Specs:

2006 jeep wrangler se
6 speed manual with 4 cylinder
77k miles
Soft top
Price is $12500 (has KBB of $10800)

I am hoping to get the seller to come down a bit on the price but what do you guys think about the price?

Also, is this year model a good reliable one because this will be my main vehicle?

What MPG can I expect?

Thank you everybody.
If there's any around the same price with the I6 and same specs it would be a good price. From what iv seen the I6 last alot longer and hold there value much better then 4 cylinder. If you can go with a I6 your appreciate it in the long run especially if you decide to lift it and put bigger tires on it. That's when u really notice the difference between the two models of engines

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your help. I'm meeting the seller tomorrow and taking it for a test drive and if it all checks out, I will hopefully negotiate him down to around $10500 or so.

Based on your guys' vast knowledge, is there any major problems with 2006 Wranglers that I should be aware of? If there are, are they easy fixes or is it smart to stay away completely?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
There are minor issues you'll see with some but most are just that, minor. One example is the I6 being a decedent of a Singer sewing machine (ticking sound). Another is cold weather and second gear; mine just doesn't slip in to second like it does with the other gears until she's warmed up a bit. Both of those little issues are easily cared for or ignored.

Still, like noonan echoed my sentiments, I'd go ahead with the test drive but still be on the lookout for a 4.0 model.

Do you have any pics of the TJ you're looking at?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics. Tell me what you guys think and if I'm on the right track as far as thinking this can be a reliable vehicle in the future for me. Myself, I am not picky when it comes to vehicles. I come from a farm where everything is rough so I am used to ignoring things.

One thing I would like to mention is that I am not really looking to abuse this by offroading much at all. Mainly using for 4wd in winter in ND and some gravel road driving along with highway driving. Please let me know your opinions!

Attachments

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hello everybody, I am new here, and I am looking to buy my first jeep tomorrow. Here are the specs and it would be great if I could get some advice on whether or not it's agoos year model along with the specs and price. Specs: 2006 jeep wrangler se 6 speed manual with 4 cylinder 77k miles Soft top Price is $12500 (has KBB of $10800) I am hoping to get the seller to come down a bit on the price but what do you guys think about the price? Also, is this year model a good reliable one because this will be my main vehicle? What MPG can I expect? Thank you everybody.
I have a 2006 Rubicon. I get about 12-14 MPG in mostly highway driving. I concurr with the others and suggest you get the 6 over the 4 cyl. Either way they are not speed demons but if you want speed, you're looking at the wrong vehicle.

My experience is that these are great vehicles as long as you know what you are getting. There are some common issues such as the Laughing Monkee OPDA issue and cracking exhaust manifolds. You might wanna do your research into these issues.

Good luck!

·
Detail Oriented
3,174 Posts
Do not get this TJ. I had a 2003 SE with the 2.4L Powertech engine that the one you are looking at has.

1. When it dies it is dead. Mine threw a rod clean through the block.
2. When it is dead expect to pay many thousands for another engine.
3. The 2.4L has motor mount brackets that are incompatible with any other block.
4. A REMANUFACTURED 2.4L is well over $5,000 installed.
5. A NEW 2.4L cannot be had for the Wrangler.
6. A remanufactured 2.4L might take many months to get as the big places (like Jasper and such) cannot locate the blocks very easily.
7. Those motor mount brackets are welded on and must be cut off if you want to use any other motor in the thing.
8. Upgrading to a 4.0L is a no go unless you can get the computer, radiator, AC lines main wiring harness and just about everything else from a 4.0L that matches the specific version of the 4.0L you intend to stick in your engine bay.

I know all this because I have been coping with it for over a year now. I am making up nothing, here. The older 2.5L (slightly lower output than the completely unrelated 2.4L, but a cute, mini version of the 4.0L) is much easier to locate and less expensive to replace if your old TJ used one in the first place. Yours did not. The 2003-2006 4 bangers all used the newer 2.4L block. It is in no way related to the 2.5L and none of the 2.5L gear can be used with it. The 2.4L was a good engine, but now that it is apparent that getting another one is so hard, I would stick with a 4.0L, which is easier by far to maintain and service, is far more easy to find parts for, and generally performs FAR better. I know this from personal experience, too. I own a 2003 SE and a 2003 Sport.

This seller is insane, too. ANY SE TJ in really great shape is worth at best about $8,500.

RUN FROM THIS!

There are a lot of better jeeps to be had for less money and that will last for far longer. I am *very* pleased with my 4.0L Sport that replaced my dead SE. Very pleased, indeed.

Keep in mind that the SE wallows on long hills, where you can hit the bottom at 75, and at the top, with your foot to the floor, you will be struggling to maintain 45. This is a fact. SEs are losers on long hills. On flat pavement in a strong headwind you will experience the same thing. Regearing is not worth the expense at all considering the weaker versions of the axles you would be upgrading.

In all honesty, I loved my zippy SE most of the time, when it *was* actually zippy. (Flat pavement was always fun...)

There were many times it just sucked to have to cope with it. And when it died it went out in style. The dealership quoted me $6700 for the new block, another place that does good work on jeeps but that is an independent shop quoted me over $5,000. Swapping in a jeep 4.0L is as complex and costly as sticking in a Chevy small block V-8.

Trust me and my decade of SE ownership. As these 2.4L blocks age it is best to start distancing yourself from them if you are shopping for a TJ. The 4.0L is a bombproof motor. It is very easy to work on. Parts are easy to get and generally cost less than parts for the 2.4L. And the performance is much better. The mpg is about the same, too, since in the SE you drive with the foot to the floor most of the time on the Interstate, negating any small advantage in mileage. The 4.0L can turn at a much lower rpm on the Interstate, so it gets its intended mpg. The SE cannot keep up on the Interstate unless pushed hard, and that is not where they get the mpg numbers from. It is from driving at about 55 on flat pavement. Not Real World at all. The 4.0L gets mpg on the Interstate that are pretty close to the posted numbers.

Good luck, but please look for a Sport. A well cared for one of the same age should run you about $11,000. I got mine for $8,000 and it was pretty beat, but it runs great. My SE, were it running and for sale, would probably get me about $7500 because it is in excellent physical shape with everything working and zero body damage. That is a fair price. Not the one you are being quoted. And if you will note, the cost to replace that 2.4L engine (should you ever need to) will probably cost you about that much in years to come.

Wade

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a 2006 TJ SE. The price this guy is asking is a bit steep and I have to agree with Mr Wade and his assessment. I haven't experienced the death of the 2.4L yet, but it does lack in the power department. I can maintain speeds on hills with adequate downshifting and up shifting at appropriate times, but having had a Jeep with a 4.0 in it (a Cherokee) I should have held out for the 4.0. However, my SE was bone stock (with the exception of 30x9.50s) and looked like it had never seen a dirt road. The undercarriage was immaculate as well as the engine bay. It had 65k on the clock when I bought it a little over a month ago and had documented proof of all services performed. Even the interior was (keyword "was") immaculate when I bought it with the exception of some serious dog hair. I just couldn't pass it up. He was asking $11,400 for it and I got it for just over $10k. Overall, I'm very happy with my Jeep. Good luck to ya, brother. :wavey:

Edit: I drive a city / highway mix and average 16 MPG (very close to what the 4.0 would probably do). I too have the 6 speed manual tranny.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts