Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my Jeep JKU currently has the Metalcloak 2.5" Game Changer lift kit and Metalcloak tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer. I am going to be installing the following in the near future at the same time I have the gears changed from 3.73 to 4.88.

(I already have the parts listed in my possession btw)
1) Rare Parts dual load carrying ball joints
2) RCV front axles
3) Artec C-gussets
4) Adams front and rear 1350 Extreme driveshafts

While the shop is doing the gears and has the front axles taken apart, I am wondering if Reid Racing knuckles will work with my current set up. Looking at their site they say a drag link flip is required to make their knuckles work. It just kinda makes sense to do everything all at once so I don't have to pull stuff apart again just to install the knuckles.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
You seem to kind of be at the lower limit of suspension lift for the drag link flip with the Reid knuckles. At 2.5" it really isnt necessary. The gain from the Reids is really, to me, just the ability to move the tie rod up a couple inches for ground clearance. Is that worth the cost? That's up to you. There seems to really be no issue with the strength of the stock knuckles so the likely added strength of the Reids seems moot.

My ultimate decision was that they weren't worth it. I run about 3" of lift, aluminum tie rod and drag link, Rubi front 44, 5.38 gears, chromoly shafts, and C gussets for 37" tires. Banging the aluminum tie rod around on the rocks has proved to be no issue for me.

Rancho makes a very similar set of knuckles for cheaper, just FYI.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the 2.5" lift seems low for doing a drag link flip and I really didn't like the idea after thinking about it for a few more days. It was just one of those "is it worth it to do while it's being worked on" thoughts that I had. I'll probably use the money elsewhere. I'm thinking that trussing the front axle would be a much more worthwhile mod than the knuckles.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The reid knuckles are stronger than stock. Since you are getting the Artec truss, you can raise your trackbar easily to go with the Reid Knuckles, which is what I have. It also raises the tierod. If i was you, i would plan on at least adding the 3.5” springs with a flipped drag link.
What’s the evidence to say Reids are stronger than stock?

Last I checked, they had no warranty, which didn’t inspire confidence.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts