Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question A) Everything I see says to poke through the foam at the top of the firewall and you'll come out near the top of the firewall... I tried punching through and I end up at a solid wall, where should I be finding a hole to fish wire through?

Question B) should my fuse be on the main power line or should I be fusing for each relay where they branch off? Is there anything wrong with my planned wiring setup shown below?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sorry can't help with your delema, but I want to thank you for the simplicity of your drawing. Its like I had an epiphany.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you remove the dash panel on the side of the dash and look toward the front of the Jeep you will see a foam plug at the firewall. Fish your wire from the inside of the vehicle to the engine compartment.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I run and would recommend a separate fuse for each relay. Depending on the attached accessory, running 2 or 3 off one fuse could easily over load it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I run and would recommend a separate fuse for each relay. Depending on the attached accessory, running 2 or 3 off one fuse could easily over load it.
I agree with Ob1kenobi, I mean Ob1ofwis. Depending on what you hook up to each independent relay, and each of their amperage draws, you might consider adding a fuse to each individual relay. Look at the high-end SPOD's. They use a large gauge cable to bring power to the head of each individual fused relay.

If you ran one large fuse to the collective power lead, and you blew that fuse, you would lose power to all your accessories and your switches, as drawn. Personally, I would connect all the switches together in their own fused circuit. Switches draw very little amps. In the way you've drawn your schematic, if you blew a fuse, you wouldn't know if your short was in the switch circuit, or the relay circuit. By wiring the two circuits separately, you'll thank yourself in the end. JMHO, but I did once sleep at a Holiday End Express.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I used this foam covered hole to route my wiring through the firewall. It's on the drivers side near the brake booster.

image-13962379.jpg

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
I just put a few long zip ties together and fished it thru the firewall to pull my wires out.

·
Registered
21,700 Posts
You can also enter the cab here. Pull out rubber grommet, punch a hole in it. fish wire/s down at an angle, then push the grommet back into the hole.

Wire/s will enter above and rear of the pedal assembly to firewall .

Good luck.
~Bill

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm wondering if a large enough fuse would suffice. Running a fuse on each line would be pretty tedious would it not? I think Spod only uses 1. I could be wrong though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm wondering if a large enough fuse would suffice. Running a fuse on each line would be pretty tedious would it not? I think Spod only uses 1. I could be wrong though!
PCB, there is a reason good electronics do not power everything on large fused circuits. SAFETY! Have you seen a vehicle electrical fire? It cost only a little more to do the job correctly. I ran across a properly planned schematic on the following thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/i-am-building-a-diy-accessory-relay-fuse-box-1247297.html Look at the schematic closely. The switches are on the bottom of the schematic. All the switches are run on ONE fused circuit. Switches draw small amounts of amps. Thusly, they require small fuses. Notice each relay circuit on this schematic has its on protective fuse, on its ON circuit? Isolating each relay with its on fuse greatly reduces troubleshooting time. If you bunch up all the individual power circuits onto only ONE large fuse, when it comes time to isolate a short, you'd better go make a sandwich because it's going to take a while. When you run all your relays off of ONE large fuse, you will lose the use of ALL your accessories when that big fuse blows. JMHO.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would run a circuit breaker from the battery to your box then individual fuses on each accessory. Also depending on what you are going to be putting on your panel here is a good website for wire sizes Wire Size Calculator. what kind of goodies are you going to be running?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would run a circuit breaker from the battery to your box then individual fuses on each accessory. Also depending on what you are going to be putting on your panel here is a good website for wire sizes Wire Size Calculator. what kind of goodies are you going to be running?

Just the typical Jeep ricer stuff:

1x 32" LED Bar (maybe 2)
1x 20" LED Bar
1x 52" LED Bar
4x 6LED Pods
42' of rock crawling LEDs.

ofcourse I would never need all of this on at the same time but it will happen more often than not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can use a single fuse safely, but all your wiring must be rated to the load protection provided by the fuse. So if your fuse is 30 amps, in order to accommodate all accessories on at once, then all your wiring, including that for the switches, must be rated to carry 30 amps.

Splitting the switches off to their own circuit, with a smaller fuse, would allow you to use smaller gauge wiring for them. As with wasaw and Ob1ofwis, I'd put a fuse on each circuit myself, but one fuse can rule them all.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I basically have the same setup, but my fuses are on the separate 12V feeds that go to each relay. Its going to be really hard to keep 5 items under one 30 amp fuse. That's an average of only 6 amps per switch or about 75-85 watts per switch. One of my light sets draw 195 watts each….9" leds. Thats 390 watts/13.5 volts for 29 amps on just one switch. My other switches all draw 10-15 amps. I guess if you never have more than a couple on at a time you would be okay, but when I get out on the lease, I have 2 to 3 on a lot. Just figure your actual amperage and go from there. I have all my switch power and grounds on one wire, broken down at the switches. For trigger wire I used 5 wire shielded thermostat wire. You can strip back at the switches and again at the relays. Works great since its color coded and you are only pulling one wire for all your switches and relays. I taped the power and ground to the Tstat wire and then enclosed in all in 1/2 black loom. Only enough of it is out of the loom to terminate at the switches and the relays. I would definitely have a few extra fuses in the rig.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
My jeep came with a tool to route wires through the firewall, its a long metal rod on the right side of the jeep, you can see it here. Just in front of the upper door hinge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All of my power wires into the relays..post 30 on the relay are fused. Mine are all 12 gauge wires with 15-30 amp fuses depending on what is being powered. My power wire to the switches are all on one 10 amp fuse by the battery. This wire is split 5 times at the switches. You could likely do without a fuse on this wire since there is really no amperage on it, but I like fuses on all 12V wires. There are relays available that have two 87 posts instead of one 87 and one 87A as well. If I am sending power out to a pair of lights on one relay I get the double 87 posts and run a wire to each light instead of splitting the wire out by the lights. Its a better connection and the wire gauge can be smaller. I tape the two wires together every 8-10 inches and stick them in a black plastic loom. Most auto parts stores carry in line fuse holders in various gauges and colors. I usually buy the red ones with the 30 amp fuses. You can always put a weaker fuse in the holder and retain the ability to use it for anything.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts