Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the "theoretical" lifespan of LEDs is tens of thousands of hours, BUT.... what is the real life you are seeing.
I hear people buying back-up lights and getting less than six months use (~5hours).
I hear of people getting less than a year on headlights.

For the cost I would expect to never have to replace them, so I'm curious about the average person's experience.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
as long as the electronic's on the LED's are sealed you should be fine. All the Chinese LED lights and bars are not sealed properly so condensation gets in and fries them. Easy thing is to get clear silicon from any hardware store and seal it up

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
One of my reverse bulbs (Genssi brand) failed a single LED chip after a year & less than 5000 miles. Probably not even an hour on it. Not a water issue since the Jeep was never even driven in the rain during that time. I think it's hit or miss on the cheap offshore stuff.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
as long as the electronic's on the LED's are sealed you should be fine. All the Chinese LED lights and bars are not sealed properly so condensation gets in and fries them. Easy thing is to get clear silicon from any hardware store and seal it up
I wouldnt say all of them. I have 5 Chinese bars and water has not gotten in, and I live in Washington. It's always raining.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Name brand stuff should be fine, but it's the cheaper stuff that's poorer quality.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I know the "theoretical" lifespan of LEDs is tens of thousands of hours, BUT.... what is the real life you are seeing.
I hear people buying back-up lights and getting less than six months use (~5hours).

For the cost I would expect to never have to replace them, so I'm curious about the average person's experience.
It's not really a 'theoretical' lifespan, it's the typical lifespan of the component when the LED is operated at the specified current and at the specified temperature. However, LED lamp manufacturers push the current to get more light so that they can win the lumen wars. And we know that our jeeps are not operating at 68 deg ambient 24/7/365.25. Consequently the lifespan of LEDs are shorter than the lamp's marketing manger misstates in the brochure.

Just look at the back of city buses and over the road truckers to see the polka-dot pattern of LEDs as they burnout. And these are typically American made LEDs from manufacturers like Truck-Lite. I almost ran a stop light here in Phoenix the other day because there was just one LED left operating in the red light cluster.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

It's not really a 'theoretical' lifespan, it's the typical lifespan of the component when the LED is operated at the specified current and at the specified temperature. However, LED lamp manufacturers push the current to get more light so that they can win the lumen wars. And we know that our jeeps are not operating at 68 deg ambient 24/7/365.25. Consequently the lifespan of LEDs are shorter than the lamp's marketing manger misstates in the brochure.

Just look at the back of city buses and over the road truckers to see the polka-dot pattern of LEDs as they burnout. And these are typically American made LEDs from manufacturers like Truck-Lite. I almost ran a stop light here in Phoenix the other day because there was just one LED left operating in the red light cluster.
I guess my concern is that I see LED lights for such large price tags but hear hints of problems with their lifespan. As an example, Mopar pod lights run about $500. I would expect to never have one burn out if I paid that much. I even heard of short lifespans with KC Hilites headlights. They have a 20 year (about) guarantee, but who wants to be changing headlights every year?

I owned my Liberty for 12 years and the stock headlights and fog lights never needed changing. I had one tail light burn out twice though (about six months in and then about 8 years in).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Most likely, something in the circuit other than an LED is what is failing.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I realize the LED is usually not the failure point, but either way it is a failure that reduces or eliminates light output.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts