Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll have a new edition to our family in late August if all goes as planned. We already have a child in a booster who currently sits in the middle backseat. This new edition will need a rear facing carseat behind the passenger seat and the booster will be moved behind the driver.

This has caused some fitment issues as it's not workable to have the rear facing seat in the middle with a booster next to it. The problem arises when the rear facing carseat causes the passenger seat to be moved too far forward. My wife is only 5'5 and her knees are touching the dash.

I don't want to get rid of the Jeep...So is there a way to relocate the back seat and seatbelts about 3 inches? I realize this will take up some space in the back, but that's a small compromise at this point. If I can't find a solution I'll be forced to look at another vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
433 Posts
What about getting one of the rear seat recline kits?

While it doesn't move the seat back, it does change the angle of the seat.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Relocating the rear seat further back is going to be problematic because of the mounting arrangement. But, there are several options for removing and replacing the factory rear bench seat. Last weekend I did just that with a Mastercraft Safety Rubicon seat. The other company I know about that makes a rear seat bracket for the JK is PRP Seats. Whether you get more room or not I did not check. I can measure the distance between the rear of the front seat and the front of the back seat if that would help.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Do you have a pocture of what you are trying to acheive?

I'm kind of surprised that there is not enought space for a rear facing seat behind the passenger front seat in a 4 door. Is you wive cruising with the back rest up or lowered?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a pocture of what you are trying to acheive?

I'm kind of surprised that there is not enought space for a rear facing seat behind the passenger front seat in a 4 door. Is you wive cruising with the back rest up or lowered?
She has it in a more upright position than she normally would.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Relocating the rear seat further back is going to be problematic because of the mounting arrangement. But, there are several options for removing and replacing the factory rear bench seat. Last weekend I did just that with a Mastercraft Safety Rubicon seat. The other company I know about that makes a rear seat bracket for the JK is PRP Seats. Whether you get more room or not I did not check. I can measure the distance between the rear of the front seat and the front of the back seat if that would help.
That would be great if you could measure that, when you have time. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
I would try to find a different rear facing car seat. There are vast differences in how they mount and how much space they take up. Some of the cheaper ones are actually more compact. Thank god im now just in the booster phase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
That would be a lot cheaper than replacing the rear seats which will run about $700 to $800 for two seats and the bracket.

·
Registered
112 Posts
She has it in a more upright position than she normally would.

My daughter is still rear facing behind the passenger seat, although not roomy, there is enough space for my 5'6" wife to ride shotgun. You would be better off looking into a new car seat. What brand do you have now? We have a graco, "click" system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
425 Posts
We are simply trying to help you find a solution, by thinking outside the box. So yep, any information you can give us can help.

And I agree, some car seat come full equip these days with wide screan tv, surround sound system that take space. And some parent will just go above the top, simply cause they want more than the best for their kids, but forget that it could be smaller ans still as efficient safety wise.

Just a tought.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
That would be great if you could measure that, when you have time. Thank you!
So I am 6' 1" and the drivers seat is not all the way back. I measured from the back of the front seat to the front of the rear MasterCraft seat and get 28" at the bottom and 25" at the top. Less at the top because the seat must be reclined. I have no idea how that would compare to the OEM bench seat as I never measured it before I removed it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would try to find a different rear facing car seat. There are vast differences in how they mount and how much space they take up. Some of the cheaper ones are actually more compact. Thank god im now just in the booster phase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I second this. We've got a new addition on the way (our first and the reason we moved from a JK to a JKU) and I've successfully fit the Chicco Keyfit 30 in all three rear seat positions (settled on middle for obvious reasons but wanted to ensure it could do the job all over). I'd mosey on over to a baby's R us and try out a new seat behind the passenger (they'll let you take it out and test fit it). Best of luck!

·
Registered
184 Posts
We'll have a new edition to our family in late August if all goes as planned. We already have a child in a booster who currently sits in the middle backseat. This new edition will need a rear facing carseat behind the passenger seat and the booster will be moved behind the driver. This has caused some fitment issues as it's not workable to have the rear facing seat in the middle with a booster next to it. The problem arises when the rear facing carseat causes the passenger seat to be moved too far forward. My wife is only 5'5 and her knees are touching the dash. I don't want to get rid of the Jeep...So is there a way to relocate the back seat and seatbelts about 3 inches? I realize this will take up some space in the back, but that's a small compromise at this point. If I can't find a solution I'll be forced to look at another vehicle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I will sell my wife first than my jeep :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts