Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had read a topic where someone had done this and used a second "trail rated" badge in the indentation/ to cover the hole.
I can't seem to find this though and thought I would ask if anyone had. I have been running a short antenna for about 2 years and over the last couple of months the reception has deteriorated for some reason. I don't like the look of the stock antenna nor do I want to remove it every time I go on a trail to prevent paint/windshield damage.
I think relocating it to the tailgate hinge area may work but not sure how much work or $$$ worth of stuff would be required.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've thought about relocating the stock antenna to lay across, under the dash. Just by removing the antenna wire from the stock mounting point and connecting it to the antenna laying across the dash bracing. I haven't gone any further with the idea other than that.

And that would leave the stock mounting point for a stubby and you wouldn't have to fill a hole.

Maybe just a silly idea...

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I did that with the badge.

First of all I used a combined signal box to link the radio antenna with the cb. Worked well for a couple of years with no tuning of the cb.

After changing tire carrier and trying to tune the cb I couldn't get the swr to look good in the lower channels.

I then reconnected the standard antenna and ran it up behind the trim on the inside of the a post, this didn't work well.
I now has some wire looped around the hole in the antenna base and routed it up over the windshield. It's not bad but I have powered internal antenna on my long term shopping list.

I have a feeling I should have just ignored the swr meter.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did that with the badge.

First of all I used a combined signal box to link the radio antenna with the cb. Worked well for a couple of years with no tuning of the cb.

After changing tire carrier and trying to tune the cb I couldn't get the swr to look good in the lower channels.

I then reconnected the standard antenna and ran it up behind the trim on the inside of the a post, this didn't work well.
I now has some wire looped around the hole in the antenna base and routed it up over the windshield. It's not bad but I have powered internal antenna on my long term shopping list.

I have a feeling I should have just ignored the swr meter.

Thanks for the reply! I have zero intention of mounting a cb. How hard was it to get the antenna off of the front fender and what kind of wore did you use to run it to the back?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I don't think it was too tough, just getting the plastic cap off without breaking it difficult. 2 or 3 screws holding it on.

I used the cable that came with my cb antenna to take it to the back.

At the moment it's running through some 16ga.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts