Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Synergy relocation bracket, the Synergy tie-rod clamp and a Teraflex SS, i read this should be easy as pie to install, but, i'm building up my mechanic skills, and i have some questions as i'm laying down all the mental notes and steps and writting them down before i complete the task

1.) Should i lift the front end by the LCA's or the frame ? and I guess i don't need to take both wheels off, just the passenger one?, so i can get in there to give the trackbar bolt the required 125ft-lbs of torque to tighten that facker down ?

2.) Would i mess my alignment in any way because i'm taking off the bolt that holds the trackbar against the mount?

3.) The instructions in the Synergy relo bracket doesn't specify, but once i mount the SS relo bracket to the TB factory mount, i think i should reuse the factory bolt to tighten down the trackbar and SS relo bracket to the same 125ft-lbs ?

4.) There are 2 extra 3/8 little bolts that came with the relo bracket, i think are used to attach the SS relo bracket to the TB, to mount it securely, besides the big main bolt one that attaches the bracket to to the TB mount, there tow extra holes in the TB mount, and i think thise tow extar bolts should be used for those holes, but i was checking yesterday, and i think i won't be able to use both bolts to secure the SS bracket, as there is one that will interfere with my Synergy TB head if i use it, making it almost impossible to attach that bolt in there, is it ok to attach the bracket with just the big bolt for the TB, and just one of the little ones to the TB mount ? or somehow i should use all 3 bolts ?

5.) I was watching a video, and it seems i should turn the wheels all the way to the passenger side, then compress the dampener in full by hand, and back it out 1/8" or so, so 1/8" of the dampener shaft is visible, then attach one end to the SS relo bracket, and the other end to the tie rod clamp, so the shaft is not fully compressed all the way by the time the tires are turned all the way to passenger ?
Once this step is verified, turn the wheels all the way to driver side, to verify the dampener shaft can extend in full. I'm expecting this last portion not to be an issue if i left 1/8-1/4" of the shaft showing in the previous step correct ?

6.) should i use blue loctite on the socket head bolts that will be holding the tie-rod clamp to the tie-rod ? the instructions say to torque those 6 ones down to 20ft-lbs, but they don't say anything about blue loctite. if this even needed ?

Sorry for so many questions possibly on something that may be trivial for some people, i just don't want to screw this up :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Wow you're really over thinking this.

1) if you must remove the wheel lift from the control arm mount on the axle. I dont think you need to lift and remove wheels for this job.

2) no

3)if no bolt and nut is supplied then yes, re-use factory bolt and nut.

4) just Google'd IMG the bracket and I see what you're saying. IMO you should be fine with just one of the smaller bolts, the one right under the SS mount.(My OME relocation uses just one bolt, besides the TB bolt) I think the second bolt is used for when installing on the TB bracket, but you're not installing that piece.

5) yes

6) since not stated in the install instructions, it might not be needed but you can apply it if you'd like.

Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot the noob, if i get stuck i'll post some pics and post some more questions :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the sucker installed, does the angle of the SS looks ok ? it seems like the bushings are a little crooked, but i don't see a way to make the shock looks straight with the hardware i got.

I had to shave the bushing in the frame side just a notch to fit that side in the bracket.

Also i used the stock 50ft-lbs torque on both sides of the bushings, is that ok or should i put more tq on both sides, i think the instructions on synergy said 75lbs, but i'll double check, i'm concerned with the bolt that ties the tie-rod clamp side, i guess that ones is getting torque againt the tie-rod itself ?

20160327_131331 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

20160327_131354 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

2016-03-27_01-36-05 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Got the sucker installed, does the angle of the SS looks ok ? it seems like the bushings are a little crooked, but i don't see a way to make the shock looks straight with the hardware i got. I had to shave the bushing in the frame side just a notch to fit that side in the bracket. Also i used the stock 50ft-lbs torque on both sides of the bushings, is that ok or should i put more tq on both sides, i think the instructions on synergy said 75lbs, but i'll double check, i'm concerned with the bolt that ties the tie-rod clamp side, i guess that ones is getting torque againt the tie-rod itself ? https://flic.kr/p/FFW9c320160327_131331 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr https://flic.kr/p/FFW9d520160327_131354 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr https://flic.kr/p/Fj9Di12016-03-27_01-36-05 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr
You are over complicating things, its just a SS. Make sure of two things.
- pivot tie rod making sure the SS doesn't bind.
- turn steering full lock left to right making sure the SS doesn't over compress or overextend.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are over complicating things, its just a SS. Make sure of two things.
- pivot tie rod making sure the SS doesn't bind.
- turn steering full lock left to right making sure the SS doesn't over compress or overextend.
I'm sure I may be doing that, but if I don't ask, I don't know if I'm doing it rigth, I see a bunch of pics with the damper all level and mine is sitting at an angle, being is the first time i do this, of course I'll worry :)
I tightened both sides to 75ft-lbs just in case since nobody jumped to say 50 was horrible or enough.

I also checked for binding, and checked the shock is not over compressing or overextending, thanks for taking a look.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
I'm sure I may be doing that, but if I don't ask, I don't know if I'm doing it rigth, I see a bunch of pics with the damper all level and mine is sitting at an angle, being is the first time i do this, of course I'll worry :) I tightened both sides to 75ft-lbs just in case since nobody jumped to say 50 was horrible or enough. I also checked for binding, and checked the shock is not over compressing or overextending, thanks for taking a look.
It can be at any angle as long as it does not keep the tie rod from rotating (binding)
50 ft lbs should be fine for those bolts.,

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It can be at any angle as long as it does not keep the tie rod from rotating (binding)
50 ft lbs should be fine for those bolts.,
Thanks a lot Kjeeper, I left them at 75 per the Synergy instructions, also took her for a ride and so far everything seems to be in working order.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ty sir, i really needed to relocate the damper, i doubt my stocker was going to whistand another day in the field :), though it was still working

20160327_142049 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

Replacement relocated, thanks again everybody for all the guidance.
2016-03-28_12-36-43 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

1 - 11 of 11 Posts