Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 TJ and I have decided to install a 2" BB with new shocks. I've heard of relocation brackets for the rear...question...what do they do? (yes I know the name says it all, but relocates them where? Down?) And do I need them for a 2" BB lift? Thanks for the advice, you guys/gals always come through with answers to my newbie questions. You all rock!:punk:

·
Registered
356 Posts
You don't need to relocate anything with a 2"bb. If I'm correct the relocation bracket will allow you to re-center the rear. When you do a lift the rear will move off center and the tires on one side will stick out further than the other. I did a 2" lift and didn't have that issue, I think it happens when you go 3" or more.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
its about the radius of the track bar. as you lift the jeep, the axle and the frame get further apart. the track bar doesn't get any longer, so the axle ends up moving toward the side of the track bar frame attachment. a bracket attempts to restore the geometry.

the bracket puts extra leverage on the stock mount, and can cause it to rip off the axle. the bracket also reduces the clearace between the tub on the track bar mount. without a minimum of ~1.25" bumpstop extensions, the bracket will put a dent in the tub at full suspension compression. but with a 2" BB, you should have 2" bumpstop extensions in the rear anyway.

but if you don't do a relocation bracket, the track bar (aftermarket or stock) will bind on the lip of the stock bracket at full droop, causing it to deform & bend, eventually cracking the welds and breaking the bracket off.

if you have a SYE and have corrected for pinion angle, you need an angled CV bracket to compensate for the axle rotation.

the best solution for any lifted jeep is to replace the bracket entirely with something aftermarket and run an adjustable track bar. but that costs quite a bit of money, and welding. most people don't do that unless they understand, in detail, all the problems i've mentioned above.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll definitely do the 2" bump stops. You had me scared for awhile there...dented tub, broken welds, deformed and bent brackets...but I should be ok with the bump stops? Again, thanks for all your knowledge.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
I'll definitely do the 2" bump stops. You had me scared for awhile there...dented tub, broken welds, deformed and bent brackets...but I should be ok with the bump stops? Again, thanks for all your knowledge.
your BB should have come with 2" bumpstop extensions.

with a relo bracket, you can still bend/deform/break the stock bracket. it needs either completely replaced or at the least, some reinforcement welded to it.

here's one that ripped off:

here's some reinforcement:

from: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/rear-track-bar-bracket-664985/

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks "Unlimited", they say a pictures worth a thousand words. You just proved that. I've got alot better understanding now. I'll definitely be getting the longer bump stops. p.s. That reinforcement looks pretty beefy. A little more than I planned on doing. I think I'll skip the relocation bracket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts