Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2015 Sahara two door and love it. Special ordered it from the factory to get all the equipment I wanted. I traded in my 2003 TJ--which I also special ordered twelve years ago--primarily because I wanted more comfort on long trips and cold weather amenities such as heated seats and remote start. With only 600 miles on the clock the remote start failed. The engine started normally but then cut out after ten seconds, and the check engine light went on. I immediately made an appointment with the dealer, but in the mean time couldn't resist poking around to find the problem myself. On the Wrangler Forum I learned that I could get the error code for the problem by pressing the ignition key towards the steering column and turning it off and on three times. The error code was P 054C. On the web I found charts showing what the error codes meant, but this one did not appear. I only found out that P meant the problem involved the power train. So I started guessing at what the code meant, starting with the letter C, and thought it might mean "cap" which could refer to the gas cap. Now I am the kind of fanatic that reads the owner's manual cover to cover on line before even purchasing the vehicle, but it wasn't until then that I recalled the manual saying something as simple as the gas cap could trigger the check engine light. So I tried the gas cap and although it was on tight, it was a couple of clicks shy of being tightened as far as it would go. So I tightened the cap all the way and tested the remote start, and it worked! Also the check engine light went out. Looking closely at the gas cap I noticed a small sign under it that read something like "failure to fully tighten the gas cap may result in the check engine light going on." So Chrysler anticipated that this might be a problem and made a good effort to alert owners to it. It's just that cars are so complicated these days even a diligent buyer has a hard time taking it all in at once.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. The remote start is designed to not work if there's an active fault code being displayed. My 2007 Sebring works the same way. Some sort of safety feature, I guess.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Gas cap should be tight after 1 click. Ive never had an issue with any codes or my remote start working and I have never gone over 1 click. If its taking more than 1 click to be "tight", or at least tight enough so the jeep doesnt throw a code for the gas cap, I would press the dealer for a new gas cap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I must admit, it never occurred to me that this was not normal. I just assumed it was the price you pay for all this fancy new technology. Now that I think about it, New Jersey has no self-service gas stations, so if the sensitivity persists I would have to get out at each fill-up and re-tighten the cap myself, or tell the attendant to do it and risk him over-tightening and causing damage. So unless this condition turns out to be a fluke, I'll go to the dealer, and it sounds like the gas cap would be the culprit.

·
Registered
511 Posts
impossible to over tighten these caps I believe. tighten to one click and its done. You could spin it all day clicking along and never damage it except possibly wearing out the click mechanism.

If its not sealing with 1 click, something is wrong with the cap. Again, thats my opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, rjacobs, I see you are right. I was mistaken. There is no final click. When you turn the cap clockwise it just keeps clicking and one click is as good as ten. I tried clicking the cap once and then I tried removing the cap and putting it back with no clicks. Either way the check engine light did not go on, and the remote start still worked fine, so at this point I can't duplicate the problem. I'll just have to keep an eye one it. But based on what you said, if the problem happens again I will know that it is not caused by failing to tighen the cap, but by a defective cap, and I will take it to the dealer. By the way, at no time did this problem affect starting and running without the remote starter. Also, Myred88, thanks for your comment, my tank was full, but I will watch out for that possibility in the future. Thanks for all the great comments. This is the first time I have posted a technical issue on wranglerformum and I found the comments very helpful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts