Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those whose Jeeps have REMOTE START AND AUTO A/C. If you REMOTE start you vehicle the center a/c control knob push function (a/c on/off) is USELESS. The little light may go off and on as you push the knob but your a/c is ON. If you want plain outside air or plain heated outside air you are out of luck as your compressor will cycle on/off anyway. To regain function of the a/c on/off button you have to turn off the car for about 15 minutes then restart with the key MANUALLY.

So...if you plan REMOTE starting your Jeep this winter with the heat preset so you can begin your cold morning drive in a warm Jeep you will have a warm Jeep and have your a/c compressor cycling as well. That way you will have consistant gas mileage all year (yup...that was sarcasm).

CALL CHRYSLER AND MAKE A REPORT (800) 922-1997

·
Registered
337 Posts
wait..... huh? I read that about 5 times and still don't really understand what your sayin. Either way I don't have remote start and auto a/c / heat. Consider yourself lucky just to have heat and air in a jeep. No need to get too picky

·
Registered
124 Posts
He is exactly correct. I didnt chalk it up to relating it to remote start, but since i do it everyday, it probably is. Never could get vent air myself...

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I will have to check this out. I don't seem to recall having an issue switching from auto to regular vents, even after using remote start. However, often my vehicle has stopped running by the time I get into it, so it could make a difference...

However, I don't care in terms of gas mileage. I didn't buy this vehicle expecting to pay less in gas than I did in my Pontiac...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
I HATE when people type like THIS to get a point across. We can READ and typing like that just PISSES off NORMAL people.

Italics were invented for a reason.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just to state the obvious, any time the Jeep is running and the wheels aren't turning, you're lowering your gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
PS, I hate when people type with italics, or people that have time to hate stupid crap.
You mean stupid crap like the AC compressor running all the time? It runs about 90% of the time with manual start and AC just to keep the oil circulated anyway.

Just to state the obvious, any time the Jeep is running and the wheels aren't turning, you're lowering your gas mileage.
This. And the AC compressor running or not isn't going to make that much difference in how much lower it gets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now this has turned out great. We have now all learned that THIS is called italics as opposed to capitalization. Someone else who has no interest in this subject is bored and wants us to know it. Another person who does not care about gas mileage anyway. Another person does not have remote start or auto a/c but feels they aren't necessary on a Jeep. And Oilwell....who hopefully has his/her Jeep jacked up by the frame at night with the engine running with a/c on and in gear with 4 wheel drive on and lockers engaged so the trany, engine, a/c compressor, front/rear diffs and power steering fluids are all circulating for lubrication sake. Keep your refrigerator slightly open as well to keep that compressor running and well lubed. Leave a faucet running in your house 24/7 if you have your own well to keep that pump running and in prime condition as well. WOW.......informaton overload !!!!

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Your a/c compressor runs on defrost because it removes humidity from the air, if it didn't do this it would take forever to clear the windshield. If it would even clear it

·
Registered
120 Posts
I could be wrong but the only reason the a/c compressor comes on with the heat is to keep the compressor from seizing up from lack of use in the winter. The air coming in from the inside of the Vehical is not blowing across the evaporater core. It's blowing across the heater core. I have had a few older vehicals without a/c and the defrost fuction worked just fine without a dehumidifier.

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's been proven many times that running the a/c uses very little fuel in modern systems. People who drive with their windows down at 55 mph or faster actually consume more fuel than running the A/C. At idle for a few minutes every day you wont even notice the drop in economy.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
To add a few cents here, I notice my ac compressor cycling with the heat on and ac button off. Mind you, I have the auto climate control so I just chalked it up to being something about the auto climate control.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't now about jeep but when I worked on fords the a/c comp would come on with the heat in any mode but vent. It did not matter if it was manual or auto climit control.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Now this has turned out great. We have now all learned that THIS is called italics as opposed to capitalization. Someone else who has no interest in this subject is bored and wants us to know it. Another person who does not care about gas mileage anyway. Another person does not have remote start or auto a/c but feels they aren't necessary on a Jeep. And Oilwell....who hopefully has his/her Jeep jacked up by the frame at night with the engine running with a/c on and in gear with 4 wheel drive on and lockers engaged so the trany, engine, a/c compressor, front/rear diffs and power steering fluids are all circulating for lubrication sake. Keep your refrigerator slightly open as well to keep that compressor running and well lubed. Leave a faucet running in your house 24/7 if you have your own well to keep that pump running and in prime condition as well. WOW.......informaton overload !!!!
Are you always this much of a tool, or did you wake up with your knickers in an especially large crusted bunch this morning?

Your a/c compressor runs on defrost because it removes humidity from the air, if it didn't do this it would take forever to clear the windshield. If it would even clear it
This is false as someone else already mentioned. If you have cold air of a given humidity and heat it up the humidity will drop by itself. It doesn't need help from the AC to do that.

I could be wrong but the only reason the a/c compressor comes on with the heat is to keep the compressor from seizing up from lack of use in the winter. The air coming in from the inside of the Vehical is not blowing across the evaporater core. It's blowing across the heater core. I have had a few older vehicals without a/c and the defrost fuction worked just fine without a dehumidifier.
Where the air goes depends on the vehicle. Most blow it across the evaporator and heater core all the time to simplify the system.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Text Line Font Screenshot Parallel
Defrost

Air is directed through the windshield and side
window demist outlets. Use this mode with maximum
blower and temperature settings for best windshield
and side window defrosting.

NOTE:
The air conditioning compressor operates in
Mix, Defrost, or a blend of these modes, even if the Air

Conditioning (A/C) button is not pressed. This dehumidifies
the air to help dry the windshield. To improve

fuel economy, use these modes only when necessary.

DB

·
Registered
120 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^. Once again I could be wrong but if air is blowing over a evaporater and a heater core you would not have any control over the temp of the air comi g out of the vents. One is going to cool the air and the other is going to heat it. It would never work. The only systems I have ever Seen do this is aux systems for busses and ambulances. They have water valves on them you have to open or close depending on if you want heat or cooling. I'm am very interested to see what jeep says about this. I have been a mechanic for 20 plus years and every Vehical I have ever worked on the system works like this. If they did not cycle the comp in the winter they would all seize up. And as far as the a/c light coming on. It does not make a diferance in how how the heater functions. My excursion does the same thing with the EATC. I think it does that so if you start the car and the temp is above what the controles are set at it will start cooling the Vehical.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts