Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting on my wife's Willys to be built and am in the market for a remote starter. I think it would be very helpful to have our little guy's car seat either cooled or warmed and ready for him to ride this coming year. I have been looking on Amazon and finding kits that range 79-160$. They say "plug and play" and most have good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with these kits and will they void my warranty?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Search here and Google for Fortin Remote start. It's the most popular aftermarket remote starter for our Jeeps.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
The Fortin Remote start is a good one. I've got it. Easy install and plug and play if you get from proper source. You can also get an extra long rang transmitter for it.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Installed 2. One on my wrangler and one on my wife's v6 commander.

Get the kit with the extended range remote. Range on the wrangler remote sucks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I put the Fortin in mine, really easy, if you need the extended range, get that one, I didn't need it as I usually start it from inside the house. Can't beat it for the price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've got this one, bought for $110, free shipping... Add on Remote Start Kit A Complete Package for Chrysler Dodge Jeep Vehicles | eBay

Uses the Fortin that people are talking about along with another transmitter to defeat the security features. Install took about 1 hour, easy to do, very little wiring as most things are plug and play. The disassembly required is pretty minimal and easily accomplished. Their directions are pretty clear and there's videos on youtube to help that other people have put up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Search this forum, there's a guy (Anderson_Electronics_Inc) who sells them on eBay, pre-programmed, for around $100.

I highly, highly recommend this item. I installed this in about 25 minutes, per the instructions and youtube videos - and it worked perfectly. (And I can barely make toast, properly)

Just make sure you have the right tools. I believe a long T20/T15 screwdriver is needed to get the screws out, as well as a few bolts. Won't hurt to pick up a tiny "awl" or pick, to help you release one of the connector tabs.

·
Super Moderator
10,607 Posts
I am stating the obvious here, but before you spend money on anything, make sure your Jeep has an automatic transmission.

You will have a heck of a time getting a remote start to work on a manual transmission Jeep.

Good luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am stating the obvious here, but before you spend money on anything, make sure your Jeep has an automatic transmission.

You will have a heck of a time getting a remote start to work on a manual transmission Jeep.

Good luck.
Yes , its an automatic.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Another fortin vote here. Pending disconnection under the column and reading the directions before you dive into it, you shouldn't be more than 30 mins in for an install. I also suggest to go ahead and get the range extender, as mentioned before the factory range is dismal at best.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I am waiting on my wife's Willys to be built and am in the market for a remote starter. I think it would be very helpful to have our little guy's car seat either cooled or warmed and ready for him to ride this coming year. I have been looking on Amazon and finding kits that range 79-160$. They say "plug and play" and most have good reviews. Does anyone have any experience with these kits and will they void my warranty?

Thanks in advance.
We just installed the Fortin Evo-All on the 2016 Jeep Wrangler Black Bear. Here's our video if it helps. Was very very easy to install. Just ordered on for my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Altitude. https://youtu.be/ghmC9h7_-dw

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I had remote start from the factory but I just installed a Viper 5706V with remote start, I can start the Jeep from 1 mile away they claim in perfect conditions. I started it about 300 yards in an open parking lot NP. I also installed the SmartStart GPS that has tracking ($200 for 3 years) and let's you start, lock, unlock the vehicle from anywhere in the world. No a cheap route but worth the investment for the provided protection, I also added all the available sensors.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Has anyone done a Drone Mobile install? I actually have all my old hardware off my old daily. Compustar Brain, iDataLink Blade bypass, and Drone Mobile module telematics unit. I mean for 200 bucks, thats cheap. The above costs around 600 installed plus a membership with drone mobile. However, starting your jeep, locking, unlocking, etc is pretty cool from your phone. No limitations on distance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts