Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody place a flyer on my 5 day old unlimited sport with a piece of scotch tape. I peeled it of as smoothly as possible but there is still adhesive left on the soft window. What is the beat way to clean it off without scratching or hurting the window?

Thank you for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Goop-b-gone or goo gone . Great stuff. Citrus based cleaners. removes all sorts of sticky stuff and shouldn't harm your soft windows. I don't have a soft top but I use this stuff all the time on cara and my Jeep when sticky stuff is left behind or for removing annoying car dealership decals.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Never had a taped on flyer. remember parking in a shopping center 2 weeks ago and saw a guy putting flyers under wipers. Doesn't rain much in Phoenix, so i remove my wipers to prolong their life. Needless to say, when I came out of the store, all the cars around me had one but I didn't.lol guess he couldn't figure out where to put it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
WilliamGray said:
Zippo lighter fluid.
Petroleum based cleaners can eat away the protecting layer of just about anything but yeah if he has some around that'll work too.

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Goop-b-gone or goo gone . Great stuff. Citrus based cleaners. removes all sorts of sticky stuff and shouldn't harm your soft windows. I don't have a soft top but I use this stuff all the time on cara and my Jeep when sticky stuff is left behind or for removing annoying car dealership decals.
I second the goo gone. I've used it on everything from my glass, to the paint, to my dash, and the plastic windows. Hasn't hurt anything, but I do clean it with water and a cloth afterward.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Yeah I * just* read that on the ingredients. But its not as harsh as straight petroleum I used zippo fluid on stuff before and then wished I hadn't.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really appreciate all of your comments. I think I will try the Goo Gone.

I am glad I discovered this forum. Most folks are very helpful and responsive.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
See, I'd have started with some vegetable oil from the kitchen..... Not petroleum based, and the oil should cut the adhesive.... JMO. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
WD40... cleans sticker residue off of just about anything.
I second the WD-40 for cleaning glue residue.

Try a little WD-40 (or whatever cleaner you choose) in a small, corner of the vinyl window first. That way you can see if it does any damage first, before you use it.

Lighter fluid - NO WAY!!! It might melt the vinyl.

Mabar

·
Registered
55 Posts
I second the WD-40 for cleaning glue residue.

Try a little WD-40 (or whatever cleaner you choose) in a small, corner of the vinyl window first. That way you can see if it does any damage first, before you use it.

Lighter fluid - NO WAY!!! It might melt the vinyl.

Mabar

OH DEAR GOD NOT THE LIGHTER FLUID!
:banghead:

WD-40, Goo Gone, and Lighter fluid are all Naphtha based. WD-40 is 80% Naphtha by volume. :doh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
So no hazing of the plastic?

just trying to figure out if the Goo product worked and if there was any clouding of that area where the sticker was...

·
Registered
506 Posts
More tape.

No, seriously. I remove quite a bit of sticker glue from things by rolling tape (type depends on the glue) inside-out around my fingers, then sticking/pulling. Takes a bit sometimes, but tends to eventually work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts