Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna remove it and try a new knob I bought but do not want to destroy the OEM one in the process. Can anyone tell me how to remove it ? Someone said to pry off the cap and go from there. Damn hard to get a tool under that cap. Any good ideas ?

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Ok hes the scoop. On an auto. The lower part of the knob is actually a plastic collar. Use a thin flat head or equivilant to pop it free of the upper half. Slide it down and remove the torx screw securing the upper half. Installation is reverse. The upper half is rubber if you actually feel it with your finger nail, the collar is not.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is a 2012. The top center cap is what I want to pry off ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
You don't want to remove the top cap, there is no nut in there to remove. Pop the chrome piece off the bottom (it will fall down the shift lever) then you can just pull the knob straight up. It's pretty simple but I would use a plastic lever if you can (like a trim tool) or make sure you pry on the front so if you gouge it up a little no one will ever see it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts