Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer wrote up they'd remove the Big Bear hood decal on my wife's new JK…has anyone done this themselves?

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Why?

But, if you're going to do it, it is best to do before the paint fades any (in the first year or so). It is relatively easy if you use a hair dryer and take it easy. But if the dealer volunteered and you want it off, that's be best route.

Perhaps some have complained about the word Wranger on the hood. Of course it had been almost two decades since they took it off the hood and put it on the quarter panel. I think the Big Bear has it in both spot

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have the Big Bear Edition as well. Personally I like the hood decal...adds a unique feature to the vehicle and it provides a fantastic anti-glare feature. Being down here in FL, it's a huge benefit.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
8,329 Posts
Oh, I thought he was talking about the "Wrangler" on the sides of the hood. I am ambivalent about those. As to the anti glare decal on the top, I would not take that off.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
I would keep the factory hood with the Big Bear decal intact and just store it. Buy one of the many, many factory take off hoods, in the right color, and put that on your Big Bear. This way, if a few decades from now, your heirs want to sell it, they can put the original hood back on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Years ago I bought a new 1981 CJ that had several decal strips across the hood. After 5 years or so of sitting in the sun of South Eastern Pennsylvania the decals had cracked and began to curl up on the edges. It was a first class PITA to remove and attempt to blend in the faded. I'm not a big fan of decals on the hood that will be baked on over time.

To each his own, what ever makes you happy is what you should do but if your going to remove it do it now on a warm day with a hair dryer it should be pretty easy. Buff out the hood and you should be good.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
I'd leave it. My wife hated it initially asking the dealer to remove or as part of the purchase.

Glad she didn't. It grew on both of us.

Having said that, my sport has all decals, including "Jeep" from the grill. The only thing left is the trail rated badge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
898 Posts
Years ago I bought a new 1981 CJ that had several decal strips across the hood. After 5 years or so of sitting in the sun of South Eastern Pennsylvania the decals had cracked and began to curl up on the edges. It was a first class PITA to remove and attempt to blend in the faded. I'm not a big fan of decals on the hood that will be baked on over time.

To each his own, what ever makes you happy is what you should do but if your going to remove it do it now on a warm day with a hair dryer it should be pretty easy. Buff out the hood and you should be good.
Vinyl tech has come a long way since 1981. Like others, I think it's a pity to see such a prominent feature of a special edition removed.

That said, removing it yourself shouldn't be a big deal. Peel it off while it's warm out. Use some Goo Gone to remove any residue.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If mine ever flakes off, I'll immediately paint that area of the hood flat black just because of the amount of glare it eliminates.

After having this one, if I ever get any other Wrangler I'm painting the hood there.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you really want it gone, why would you even consider doing it yourself when you have a dealer willing to do it for free, and assume responsibility for anything that goes wrong during removal?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
LSV, I agree with both sides, I guess my question would be what was the attraction to this Big Bear Jeep if you want to remove part of the "package" it came with? Was is a spur of the moment purchase and liked some of the options you don't see? I agree with Walt, I wouldn't take a package I ordered or appealed to me and strip it. I bought a 2012 Sport JKU, and traded last year for the Willys Edition because I liked the options including the decals. I won't be removing mine because it's what was one of the features I liked when looking at the new models at the time(2016)..Just a question...

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,843 Posts
oh no, not another "what if" sticker post!

if you are making the payments, do whatcha like.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I love the BB hood decal, almost bought 1 till I saw my Freedom with LEDs. If your pulling it, sooner is better. My Frontier had a big "FRONTIER" swoosh down the sides of it. The side that got all the sun on the lot was a PITA to remove. The shade side peeled all in one piece. A lil WD40 or bug and tar remover pulled any remaining adhesive. For the JK, I used a heat gun on the Freedom hood star. Came rite off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll second the removal before paint fades. I bout a 2015 Sahara and the previous owner removed the Sahara decals. Its pretty noticeable. At least to me. The dealer trying to buff it to no avail.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am in a unique position to comment on the 'Big Bear' hood decal.

Firstly, I have been involved in the self-adhesive decorative graphics industry for over 30 years.... so I *know* all about vinyls.

Secondly: I too, have the Big Bear decal.

Couple of thoughts:
  • Any vinyl hood decal - even screen printed OEM ones like the Big Bear decal that have a matte clearcoat ink applied after the printing process - poses inescapable future problems.
  • Vertical Sunlight Exposure - will turn this graphic chalky and fade it significantly in a few short years.
  • Heat from the engine will hasten the deterioration of the graphic from the backside.
  • Combined; the engine heat and vertical exposure of the sun beating straight down on the graphic will greatly accelerate the deterioration of the vinyl graphic verses a vertically applied (as in side panel) application that does not get as direct sun exposure.
  • Once the graphic gets 'baked on'.... it almost impregnates itself into the paint.... yes you can get it off, but the vinyl will eventually lose it's flexibility/stretching characteristics and it will come off in hardened vinyl pieces no bigger than the eraser end of a #2 pencil. In short - - it is a Beyotch to remove.
  • The paint beneath the decal will not fade..... while the paint with vertical exposure to the sun all around the decal WILL fade.... after a short time, peeling the decal off will make this evident and there is nothing you can do about it short of repainting your hood.

The best way to remove a fairly new decal (within 6 months to a year generally) is as follows:
  • Get a 'heat gun' from a local hardware/auto parts store or use a hair dryer on it's hot setting.
  • Be careful to NEVER hold the heat gun or the hair dryer in one spot for more than a second...Always keep the heat gun about 6 inches or more from your paint and wave it across the vinyl slowly.... heating the vinyl and adhesive so that it is warm, but not scorching hot to the touch of your hand...
  • Once you have a section heated, pick the heated edge of the decal with your fingernail to get something to grab hold of.... SLOWLY.... I REPEAT SLOWLY... start to pull the decal off with one hand, while waving the heat gun ahead of the area you already heated.... so that you can continue pulling the vinyl off.
  • Count on some adhesive delaminating from the vinyl and remaining on the surface of your hood....

Once the main vinyl graphic is off your hood, you need to get off any adhesive residue left behind.

The best product I have ever used is Rapid Remover. It has never harmed the paint of hundreds of vehicles i have used it on.... but you HAVE TO READ THE INSTRUCTIONS - - you cannot leave it on for more than 30-60 seconds before you use a clean, scratch resistant rag to wipe off the adhesive that the Rapid Remover almost melts away from the paint like butter.

It does take some effort and you'll probably have to go over it a few times.... but it works like a charm compared to ANYTHING else I have ever used.

Like all chemicals, use at your own risk and test in an inconspicuous spot. It should be safe for CURED OEM paints.... I just used some to remove left over adhesive from the Dealership Decal I removed from the back of my new 2017 Wrangler..... bing bang boom..... works like a charm.

I always follow up this product with a good soapy water spray and re-wipe just to remove any left over Rapid Remover residue - just to be safe.

https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Spra...r=8-3&keywords=rapid+remover+adhesive+remover

So, as a Graphic designer, my personal opinion of the Big Bear graphic is that it is 'ok'.... original at least. But I am picking up a new Mopar Power Dome Wrangler Hood tomorrow or Tuesday and having it painted to match my vehicle... and am getting rid of my stock hood.

If I kept the Big Bear hood.... TRUST ME.... the decal would be gone within two years tops, because I know from experience that it will be a mother to remove after that, and the surrounding fading damage will be irreversible.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oh... and the thing about 'matte' vinyls.... and matte clear screen print inks? They mark up permanently, super-easily.... AND if you rub them for a few seconds with your finger? The spot you rubbed will turn glossy and there's not a darn thing you can do to get it back to a matte finish. Some matte paints react this way to rubbing and abrasions too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts