Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has removed the factory rock rails and how it looks. I'm sure not that different.

And how do you remove it? is it just bolted on and are the bolts reused?

Thinking of getting rid of mine and maybe getting some steps.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
There's an exposed pinch seam under them. Take a look at a stock Sport and you'll see it.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
228 Posts
I replaced my rock rails with steps. Like Prages says above, just look at a Sport next time you see one on the road.

The rock rails are held on by 10mm nuts. If I'm not mistaken, each side has three spots with two nuts each, for a total of six nuts per side. (Mine's a 2 door. 4 door might have more.)

Most of the popular steps use the same attachment locations as the rock rails. Installing your new steps should be the same work as the rails.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Thinking of getting rid of mine and maybe getting some steps.
Something to consider before you discard them since they're designed to protect the pinch seam and beyond. Installing these steps onto the rock rails with the ability to remove them for an off-road excursion could be a solution.

Screenstepshot.jpg

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Something to consider before you discard them since they're designed to protect the pinch seam and beyond. Installing these steps onto the rock rails with the ability to remove them for an off-road excursion could be a solution.

View attachment 3664457
thanks all.

do you have a link to these and/or a pic installed?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I did the opposite. The Sport models come with nothing but an ugly pinch seam, so I bought some Rubicon take-offs for $50. If you take them off you will definitely want something in their place, and yes it's easy as can be to take them off & on.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did the opposite. The Sport models come with nothing but an ugly pinch seam, so I bought some Rubicon take-offs for $50. If you take them off you will definitely want something in their place, and yes it's easy as can be to take them off & on.
Me too, although I didn't get mine that cheap. Looks ten times better with them on than off.

Super easy install so if the existing bolts aren't too rusted up, easy take off or on.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Me too, although I didn't get mine that cheap. Looks ten times better with them on than off.

Super easy install so if the existing bolts aren't too rusted up, easy take off or on.
It really pays to be a member of a local Jeep club, and I encourage everyone to seek one out. That's how I got the rails so cheap. All you have to do is mention what you want, and your fellow members will offer up all kinds of things for cheap, sometimes for free!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I removed mine because of the small rocks that get in between the rails and body.

Here it is with 2.5" lift

and a fresh bedlined bottom

·
Registered
223 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts