Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Multiple small machine screws / small bolts under the flare through the back flange of the flare. Several go into threaded inserts that may spin when you try to back out the screw. Some you can hold, some you can't access to hold. It's tedious at best.

·
Registered
415 Posts
8mm or 5/16 head self taping screws. 8 in the front, 7 in the rears ( I believe) with rubber block nuts on the back sides. Some have factory nutserts near the cowl and the rear bottom bolts.

Its pretty easy to do, take ur time and pray the nutserts don't spin. I they do it isn't the end of the world, but it's a booger to get them out

·
Registered
495 Posts
luckyAD80 said:
How to? Looks easy. 2000 TJ two door.
Nutserts are a pita. I ended up having to carefully grind many of the screws with nutserts off with a dremel. The front flares have three, all at the rear. The back flares have three, two front and one rear. The splash guards have three. Took me probably an hour or hour-and-a-half for each flare. Once off I removed ALL the nutserts. Replaced them with nylon rivnuts. Now I can remove a flare in probably ten minutes. Just take your time and use good tools. Also as mentioned an 8mm wrench fit my '06. Also needed a 10mm to remove the side marker lights. I was able to hold the plastic backing nuts with my fingers on the remaining. For the rear news, it will be a lot easier if you also remove the wheel well splash guards (or whatever they are called).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well... so I all I need are 8 and 10 mm wrenches and some time and patience? And what do yall mean by 'when they spin' ?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The nutserts or rivet nuts are pushed into the hole and expand to hold. Over time, the screws become rusted in so the when you try to unscrew them, they ultimately cause the rivet nut to turn with the screw. Once that happens... There is very little poking through on the back side to get pliers on to hold.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dfry said:
The nutserts or rivet nuts are pushed into the hole and expand to hold. Over time, the screws become rusted in so the when you try to unscrew them, they ultimately cause the rivet nut to turn with the screw. Once that happens... There is very little poking through on the back side to get pliers on to hold.
Sounds like fun. Do yall think it'll look cool with the fender flares off? I'm bedlining the wheels soon too!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
itll look wierd in the front, they arent smooth and rounded like you think..

not sure why people are sayin stuff about nutserts...some of mine have the self tapping screws with the rubber nut on the back but the other for me are actually machine screws that have threaded holes..

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrangler06 said:

not sure why people are sayin stuff about nutserts...some of mine have the self tapping screws with the rubber nut on the back but the other for me are actually machine screws that have threaded holes..
Haha so many mixed comments but thanks for your input! Much appreciated everybody

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
just google "jeep wrangler without fender flares" prob 1,000,000 pictures

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
well looks like google sucks at having pics of tjs with no flares..here ya go finally found one, you can see what i mean about the fronts not being smooth and round

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
the other for me are actually machine screws that have threaded holes..
Those threaded holes are actually inserts in the sheet metal. If (when) they start turning when you are trying to remove one of those bolts.....:mad::mad::mad:: it would make Tebow cuss a blue streak.....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wrangler06 said:
well looks like google sucks at having pics of tjs with no flares..here ya go finally found one, you can see what i mean about the fronts not being smooth and round
Thanks! And yeah not diggin that. Like the rear flares off though. Can you out the bolts back in w/o the flares on?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Your welcome. I did like the rear removed. I think it would look good if you had the rear removed with some tube fenders up front

·
Registered
243 Posts
rivnuts

the threaded holes are the rivenuts that as mentioned before will cause you alot of headache. I just finished removing and installing mine for painting the flares and I had trouble with one rivnut spinning. I ended up getting the flare off but had to fix the hole for a screw to hold the flare. Mine was a 2003 model, I have to wonder about older jeeps and jeeps that have been in the snow. Salt!! Maybe worse than others? All I have to say is good luck and dont give up.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also are there any reaaaal cheap fender flares I can buy? Or, how hard are they to weld. My friend has some weldin stuff but I've never done it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts