Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I took the advise of some here and stuffed poly fill in my rear speaker enclosures and my woofer enclosure in my 2012 with the optional 430N Infinity system. My sound was never improved and after 4 months of this trial run, I removed all the poly fill and it turns put that the OEM sound is MUCH clearer and not muddied like it was with the poly fill. Much clearer highs and a tighter thump WITHOUT the poly fill.

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
HHHHmmmm, the debate has gone back and forth on this one. Some say better without it, many say better with it. Guess there is a little bit of subjectivity to this.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wondered if anyone has done the mod and gone back like I did. The audio difference is amazing and I'm glad I removed it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I always have trouble believing engineers not making improvements that cost almost nothing.

S

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I wonder if those who do not like the poly fill are stuffing too much in the speakers?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Polyfill should have no impact on your highs what-so-ever. And given how speaker enclosures work, polyfill should make you bass tighter and less boomy. If things sound muddled, I do wonder if they were over-stuffed.....or if you were simply noticing more mid-bass from the "stuffed" enclosures.

·
Registered
765 Posts
in the OP's defence, my fronts sound great with no polyfill.. but i wasn't ripping the dash open for a $2 mod ;)

my 4ohm 6.5 BA's in the sound bar are only good for the highs .. which was lacking with the infinities.

IMO, my sub did improve with the fill.. was WAY TO BOOMY (and hollow) without it.

i stand firm that my sound has improved with polyfill.. albeit, marginally. an improvement nevertheless :)

to each their own (hotheads head lines -full kit- had also helped, marginally)

for a OlllllllO... sounds decent. great? no. but decent

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
BTW you don't have to rip the dash apart to access the front speakers. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
HHHHmmmm, the debate has gone back and forth on this one. Some say better without it, many say better with it. Guess there is a little bit of subjectivity to this.
True. I think when it comes to sound, it's very subjective.
Poly or not to poly.
I did my sound bar and I got a slight improvement. An upgrade in speakers and sub may be coming at some point.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I thought the wf police were going to come arrest me because I didn't hear the "amazing, unbelievable" difference poly fill makes...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
panthermark said:
polyfill should have no impact on your highs what-so-ever. And given how speaker enclosures work, polyfill should make you bass tighter and less boomy. If things sound muddled, i do wonder if they were over-stuffed.....or if you were simply noticing more mid-bass from the "stuffed" enclosures.
x2

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
The Poly fill never did anything for mine either. Been considering taking it out myself

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never felt the poly did anything. I left it because it really made no difference.
I just took it out while I was trying to figure out why my rears speakers died.
It turns out the stereo took a dump. The poly is out, and won't be going back in.

Just didn't work for me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
worked on mine

double bass drums on Painkiller did not distort at full volume
neither did Hot for Teacher.

never tried NWA, Too Short or any of that, nor will I

·
The Bad Guy
23,179 Posts
Fishead said:
I never felt the poly did anything. I left it because it really made no difference.
I just took it out while I was trying to figure out why my rears speakers died.
It turns out the stereo took a dump. The poly is out, and won't be going back in.

Just didn't work for me.
Wait, so you're comparing with a different head unit?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Besides the voice coils getting burned out from the extra heat, there might not be much of a difference when adding polyfill.

I'm kidding, of course: my factory sub goes down to 20 hz with authority now. Erich Kunzel's "Thriller" never sounded so rich. I also appreciate the advanced soundstage in Stravinsky's "Firebird." So sweet.

S

S

1 - 20 of 71 Posts