Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have watched the owner's manual video and three videos online and still haven't seen this addressed. You remove six screws inside the hard top in the back ... I can see that easily. But the OM refers to *eight* but never says where the other two are on a two-door (it says something about being by the B-pillars in a four door but the video doesn't visually identify them). The video seems to show two holes in the middleish of the top above the sound bar, but when I look at my Jeep top I see no screws there like those inside the back. There are two pointy cones on top of the sound bar and below the cones under the sound bar a hex bolt that is completely different from the six bolts inside the hard top. Am I supposed to remove the cone tops to reveal a screw like those inside the back of the Jeep? Are there screws hidden somewhere else? For a 2-door, are there only six screws? I am reluctant to just start pulling and prodding things when I don't know what they are. Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ottis said:
I have watched the owner's manual video and three videos online and still haven't seen this addressed. You remove six screws inside the hard top in the back ... I can see that easily. But the OM refers to *eight* but never says where the other two are on a two-door (it says something about being by the B-pillars in a four door but the video doesn't visually identify them). The video seems to show two holes in the middleish of the top above the sound bar, but when I look at my Jeep top I see no screws there like those inside the back. There are two pointy cones on top of the sound bar and below the cones under the sound bar a hex bolt that is completely different from the six bolts inside the hard top. Am I supposed to remove the cone tops to reveal a screw like those inside the back of the Jeep? Are there screws hidden somewhere else? For a 2-door, are there only six screws? I am reluctant to just start pulling and prodding things when I don't know what they are. Thanks!
Just 6, plus the big ones that screw into the sound bar for the removable front sections

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are only six? That would be excellent. I removed the freedom panels fine, including the hand screws. But I have been looking for 6+2 more screws near or on the sound bar area to remove the back half of the top. So all there are are the six inside the back top?

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts
Ottis said:
There are only six? That would be excellent. I removed the freedom panels fine, including the hand screws. But I have been looking for 6+2 more screws near or on the sound bar area to remove the back half of the top. So all there are are the six inside the back top?
There is only 2 in the sound bar.

The hex screws don't come out.

Just remove the 6 and 2 hand screws. The top should lift. Grab a helper to remove it :thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great. Thanks. I will take the six out and then disconnect the plug and remove the top. Didn't want to do that until I was sure there were only six for the back half of the hard top!

·
Desert Dweller
633 Posts
Hi Ottis,

From the monster 600+ PDF owners manual, page 187 and 188, steps 3 and 4:

3. Remove the two Torx head screws that secure the
hard top at the B-pillar (near the top of the door) using a
#40 Torx head driver (Four–Door Only).

4. Remove the six Torx head screws that secure the hard
top to the vehicle (along the interior bodyside) using a
#40 Torx head driver.

Those steps are the only ones I can find that mention the number of screws. As you can see at the end of step 3, the two Torx screws at the B-piller are for the 4-door models.

There are only 6 screws that actually hold the 2-door hard top on, at least on mine. :) There are 2 large "rear fasteners (knobs)" but those only hold down the Freedom Panels:

View attachment 135059

Regards,

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent - exactly the confirmation I needed. Thank you! Removing the six should be easy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts