Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
When all else fails it may be time to drill it out and then replace. Of course that's when all else has failed.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Put the 2 lugs next to it back on pretty tight, heat the stripped one up with a mapp or propane torch. next, Hammer the closest smaller size socket on there and go to town. If it strips worse you can still drill it. Since its recessed it kind of sucks. You could also try filling a larger deep well with jb weld and letting it setup and hope it holds. Another option would be splitting the lug with a cold chisel. Now that's a good time!!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Put the 2 lugs next to it back on pretty tight, heat the stripped one up with a mapp or propane torch. next, Hammer the closest smaller size socket on there and go to town. If it strips worse you can still drill it. Since its recessed it kind of sucks. You could also try filling a larger deep well with jb weld and letting it setup and hope it holds. Another option would be splitting the lug with a cold chisel. Now that's a good time!!!!
heating it enough down in that hole will probably destroy the aluminum wheel...jb weld is good stuff but it won't work on that.......you have a tough fix there without destroying anything..if you could drive the next smaller socket on there and I mean just a 32nd smaller,then put an impact on it then you might get it..if that fails you could try pulling the entire hub,cutting the end off the stud,drive it through that way,then cut the splines off the stud so it will fall out the front

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Get the twist turbo sockets from sears. Bang one on and that's that. They will not slip off. And u will remove the lug. Done deal. Been there plenty times.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
heating it enough down in that hole will probably destroy the aluminum wheel...jb weld is good stuff but it won't work on that.......you have a tough fix there without destroying anything..if you could drive the next smaller socket on there and I mean just a 32nd smaller,then put an impact on it then you might get it..if that fails you could try pulling the entire hub,cutting the end off the stud,drive it through that way,then cut the splines off the stud so it will fall out the front
Aluminum melts @ 900*f he will get nowhere near that with propane. Mapp would even take awhile....

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Aluminum melts @ 900*f he will get nowhere near that with propane. Mapp would even take awhile....
Regardless of what you have read or heard,I know from experience that if you throw heat in there,you stand a good chance of destroying the wheel..try it if you like.the best lessons learned are the most expensive ones

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You also stand a good chance of breaking it loose. Ruin a wheel with a propane torch. Lol. You'd have to be stupider than a box of chocolates.....lo"fn L

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would also nix the heating. Driving on the next smaller socket and going to town with an impact wrench sounds like the best next step. If that doesn't work attacking it from the back with your tool of choice (repro-saw, angle grinder, chisel) is next.
First get rid of the laughable factory lug wrench, which probably started the strippage, and replace it with a quality crossbar type. My craftsman is about 40 years old and has never stripped a lug nut on me.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You also stand a good chance of breaking it loose. Ruin a wheel with a propane torch. Lol. You'd have to be stupider than a box of chocolates.....lo"fn L
you are right,I'm just a stupid old man.I did however own my own welding business for many years,taught welding for 4 years and know that you can cut through thicker steel with propane than you can with acetylene.I did not form my opinions by reading about them,I learned them by working

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
So did I old man, this however, is not a pissing match. I stick with the kiss theory. I'm sure you know it well. A little heat is not going to destroy his wheel. Stop scaring people!!!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Get the twist turbo sockets from sears. Bang one on and that's that. They will not slip off. And u will remove the lug. Done deal. Been there plenty times.
Agreed. You can buy sockets with a reverse, very coarse cutting thread. Kind of like a female easy out. I've used them to remove the locking lug nuts when one of my customers lost a lug nut key. They're pretty much a one time use, good luck getting the lug out, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
So did I old man, this however, is not a pissing match. I stick with the kiss theory. I'm sure you know it well. A little heat is not going to destroy his wheel. Stop scaring people!!!
you stick with theory and I'll stick with experience...it might not hurt it,if you are lucky but aluminum reacts to heat a lot different than steel...anyway,I gave the guy my opinion..I'll let it go at that

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Luck has nothing to do with it. A little heat goes a long way. I respect your opinion but also am young enough to form my own. Just like you. Been there done that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I would heat it up but only a couple hundred degrees. Just so it would burn to touch, nowhere near enough heat to damage wheel, no where near glowing red. Then I might try that turbo socket mentioned if it will fit in the lug hole. I have seen those on TV and always wanted to put one to the test. Or I would hammer on the size smaller socket. Done that many times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I had a similar situation with a locking lugnut on my spare that the PO was nice enough to leave for me. I was able to weld a nut to the lugnut by feeding a bit more wire from the welder than best practice but it got the job done. I used an air impact gun to remove from there.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts