Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 2004 TJ. Needs TLC. Contemplating pulling carpet. What is beneath, painted metal? Is this a good option to clean up the interior? Any downsides? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
I pull the carpet out every year before I put the hardtop back on for the winter. Deep clean the dirt out of the carpet, and rinse/wash out the tub underneath.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
New to me 2004 TJ. Needs TLC. Contemplating pulling carpet. What is beneath, painted metal? Is this a good option to clean up the interior? Any downsides? Thanks.

If your talking permanent removal the floors have a tendency to get quite hot and and adds a fair amount of road noise if that's a concern.

Reactions: DCLXVI

·
Registered
200 Posts

There's a few ways to deal with this.

1 - Pull the carpet and leave the cab bare. Wears the paint, you lose the noise damping the carpet provides.
2 - Pull the carpet, wash and replace. Works pretty good if the carpet is if good shape.
3 - Pull the carpet and line the tub with some type of noise damping foam, then install the carpet again. The jeep will be quieter.
4 - Pull the carpet and Rino Line the tub, look good, wears well, and helps a small amount to dampen the noise over a bare tub.
5 - Pull the carpet and replace it with an after market kit.

If money wasn't an issue, I'd do #3, if it was/is, then #4 and finally #2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all very much. I really appreciate your help and advice. I guess I have some winter projects now! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
The PO chose option 1 for me before I bought it. I left it bare. Summer time, windows are down and doors off during really hot stretches when no rain is in sight. I never run the AC anyway. It throws heat, but I got used to it. In the fall, the added heat through the floor takes the edge off without having to turn the blast furnace heater on. I end up only having to turn the heater on when it is really cold.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,703 Posts
The couple times I removed my carpet with the intention of leaving it out, the interior gets so hot (from the catalytic converter under the passenger-side floor) and it gets so noisy inside that I reinstall it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
When purchased my last Jeep I immediately removed the carpet. I live at the beach so sand is always an issue, especially when the dogs ride. A couple reasons I prefer the carpet to be out is it's much easier to clean, I keep the drain plugs out so all I have to do is hose the inside down and let all the dirt/sand escape through the drain holes. If you ever get into mud with the top off we all know those tires throw mud everywhere. Putting some sort of "Rhino Liner" does help with the noise a bit. Don't do a dark color or the sun will have the interior steaming. I went with a light gray/silver color.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you do the Rhino liner yourself, or did you have it done? Just not certain it’s possible to do it yourself. Thanks.

·
Registered
‘98 TJ
158 Posts
It’s interesting to see all the different opinions. I pulled the front carpet last year and went through winter then summer with it out to see how bad the heat and noise were since everyone has a different idea of what they want.

For me, the noise isn’t much different than it normally is with a soft top and as mentioned already, in the winter the little bit of extra heat is welcome. In the summer the top and doors are off so it doesn’t really matter.

I’ll go through this winter with it out and once it warms up in late spring I plan to use Monstaliner on the interior and call it good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts