Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hopefully someone will be able to help me with this, the bar that I point to and that is pictured obviously interferes with installing a lock box which I plan to do, now my question is does this bar do anything, I have looked and it does not seem to be viral to the seat operation or structure based components…will I be ok and safe to cut the bar or will I just damage my seat and destroy the ability to use my seat as Jeep intended?

Reason I ask is I have been trying to find 2010+ JKU seats but can’t seem to be able to find good seats that match my current pattern/interior or any I do are over priced or in not so good shape…

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
I would not cut that. It is the crossbar for the bottom of the seat. Your seat is not bolted to the floor of the Jeep, the seat track is. The seat then rides on top of the track and allows you to slide it back and forth. This crossbar takes all the downward force from your body weight instead of it being carried by the tracks. Without it, I think over time you would see the some negative effects on your seat tracks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just to clarify this seat is in a jeep? A JK?

If it is a JK seat the lock boxes sold for JK will fit. Now if you are building a box you need to leave that bar alone and measure how big you can make it I doubt it ends up being any bigger than the boxes sold for this purpose.

I have boxes under both seats.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a JK, with the never used fold and tumble seat functions, that bar blocks the installation of any boxes, hence why I want to remove it or swap seats for a 2010 or JKU but can’t seem to be able to find any that are reasonable price

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
No lockbox fits in a newer JK with the fold and tumble seat brackets.

You can get a console insert that locks or use a portable box secured with a cable.

I wouldn't be cutting structure out of my seat.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You can get a console insert that locks or use a portable box secured with a cable.

well that is mainly why I want to swap either for the 2010 seats or a JKU set up (i don't have the rear bench installed and do not ever use it as the dogs get the back of the jeep tub area, and if my family wants to visit we use the Kia optima we have.....)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

well that is mainly why I want to swap either for the 2010 seats or a JKU set up (i don't have the rear bench installed and do not ever use it as the dogs get the back of the jeep tub area, and if my family wants to visit we use the Kia optima we have.....)

perhaps you know where I could pick up a set off a JKU? I just need black seats or the ability to swap my seat cushion/back to the new JKU mount....

·
Registered
2,949 Posts

perhaps you know where I could pick up a set off a JKU? I just need black seats or the ability to swap my seat cushion/back to the new JKU mount....
I suggest Craigslist, FB marketplace and checking with local Jeep clubs/forums. You can also check the local pick n pull yard or carparts.com

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am not sure if i have any pick and pulls local to me, but I will check the carparts.com site out

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could also get seat covers to make all of the seats match?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
true, but finding the JKU seats is proving harder then I thought and my area doesn't seem to have any self serve auto parts yards.....quite frustrating.....

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Call around the junkyards. There's usually a yard that buys up all the wrecked wranglers. I find they never get into the self-serve ones that I've been to.

Anyway, instead of looking for a good used seat, get a horrible one and just swap the base out with your base.

·
Registered
423 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure how much used seats go for but it looks like you can get the floor brackets for a JKU for around $150... Would it just be the floor brackets or is the lower portion of the seat different between JK/JKU

People have swapped the seat bases successfully. They appear to be interchangeable throughout the years. Of course, this is third-party info.

This guy swapped the base from an 2007 to a 2014.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/seat-swap-07-to-14-a-2260641.html

·
Registered
423 Posts
true, but finding the JKU seats is proving harder then I thought and my area doesn't seem to have any self serve auto parts yards.....quite frustrating.....
I did a quick search looking for JKU seat mounts. Craigslist, FB Marketplace, local junk yards, 2 Jeep specific junk yards, and some online used parts finders. I only found 2 JKU seats at $400+ each. No mounts. One was at a local Jeep yard and understandably would not separate the mount from the seat. I think it would be difficult and a long wait to find a seat for less $ then the factory bracket cost.

My current underseat storage is a box similar to THIS which is very cost effective. The downsides are it's difficult to get in/out, very tight fit, the cable gets caught up, and the electrical connections will likely be damaged at some point.

I want the Tuffy box and know I will be much happier with it but at about $300 for box and brackets it's a tough call...

Thanks for getting the wheels turning Jim

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where are you located? Are you near Connecticut? I looked on FB market place and found one for $50…that got annoyingly sold out from under me…

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
You *should* be able to find a wrecked JKU with side airbags that deployed or one with ruined seats. That's what I'd be calling around for. These, in theory, should be basically worth less than scrap metal. You're not wrong about the wait though.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm in CO. Maybe I will just keep an eye out for a while. There are some other things I need to do before this anyway.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts