Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a soft top jku and in the summer I like to run doors off, top up. Since I've had the jeep I just left the door surrounds on when doing this, but I like the look better without the vertical part of the rear door surround, so today I took them off. I left the front part of the door surround on for the time being and reinstalled the middle knob until it just made contact with the door surround. My thinking for leaving the fronts on is that they will help keep the top positioned correctly, and keep the front seat area dry if it's nasty out and I need to throw the doors on to go somewhere. Now that I've done it, I'm wondering if running this way will cause any seal issues when I reinstall the rear door surrounds, or if there's any other reasons I'm not thinking of that running this way is a bad idea. Any thoughts or experience with this configuration would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
There is some play in the screw down setup of the surround and one could be off slightly and risk an incorrect seal when reinstalling the doors.. or at least I'm under the same impression as you and fear if we removed these I'll never be able to line them up correctly again. So we're apt to just leave them as is seeing how we've not had any issues with the constant removal of the half door upper even after or before heavy rains.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a soft top jku and in the summer I like to run doors off, top up. Since I've had the jeep I just left the door surrounds on when doing this, but I like the look better without the vertical part of the rear door surround, so today I took them off. I left the front part of the door surround on for the time being and reinstalled the middle knob until it just made contact with the door surround. My thinking for leaving the fronts on is that they will help keep the top positioned correctly, and keep the front seat area dry if it's nasty out and I need to throw the doors on to go somewhere. Now that I've done it, I'm wondering if running this way will cause any seal issues when I reinstall the rear door surrounds, or if there's any other reasons I'm not thinking of that running this way is a bad idea. Any thoughts or experience with this configuration would be appreciated.
fantastic idea!!! I dont mind a little water in case it leaks after reinstalling them.. but I had not done b/c on a quick look I thought the soft top "rails" might need this frame.. or need it when half top on " sunrider" mode...

its is a little late to do it now but.. will tomorrow..

how did you go about it?

need to half soft top pulled back and then unscrew the top know/screw?
I thought about not removing the whole frame but only the vertical part and leaving the horizontal part that appears to be part of the soft top rails..

pics man.. put up pics with the frame removed. think it will do great when I do so since I have half doors..

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Take the soft top all the way back.

Remove the door surrounds if you like.

I only take mine off to put on the hard top. I don't mind the door surrounds sitting there even with the doors off. Truth is, you can remove them and put them back in just a few minutes. I see no problem running with just the front other than your going to get wet in the back.

·
Registered
380 Posts
LOL it was pretty easy..

kept the rear frame each in one piece (horizontal and vertical part together).. will probably unglue by the time I use them again.. love the look

1 - 5 of 5 Posts