Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation of changing my transmission and xfer case fluids (everything is on order) I attempted to remove my skid pate. While doing so I had 2 bolts (middle on each side) just spin. The remaining 4 come out just fine but I don't know how to get those middle 2 off. I'm not too concerned about getting them back in as I don't offroad much and I think the remaining 4 should hold it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Yeah I would guess the nuts that are supposed to be welded to the frame either rusted out and arent connected to the frame anymore or they simply broke. Im sure you know but make sure to support the transmission with something like a jack before u take the skid down. Its all connected, just making sure because I saw a guy on here who wasn't aware of this!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I read quite a few threads on removing it before taking the plunge.
What would you suggest using to cut them?

·
Registered
62 Posts
cballou said:
In preparation of changing my transmission and xfer case fluids (everything is on order) I attempted to remove my skid pate. While doing so I had 2 bolts (middle on each side) just spin. The remaining 4 come out just fine but I don't know how to get those middle 2 off. I'm not too concerned about getting them back in as I don't offroad much and I think the remaining 4 should hold it. Any suggestions?
This happens to me but all of mine didn't come out. So I just pride on the skid plate down and they came out after awhile. Then just retapped them and put new bolts in

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Do it right and replace the bad bolts. Don't make the next owner find the hard way you cheaped out on a repair!

·
Registered
62 Posts
geiman said:
Here is how to properly fix the nutserts which are loose:

Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - JeepForum.com

For the spinning bolts, I typically use an angle grinder or similar to cut them off. You can follow the guide from there and install new nutserts.

You don't need to buy them from the dealer any more though; Blaine from Savvy is selling them:

87-06 YJ and TJ Transfer case skid plate nutsert replacement kit.
Awesome didn't know they had a replacement kit for this. THANKS !!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. Glad I read this and saw they make a kit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wish I knew this about 4 weeks ago when I did so I could of did it right. No big deal will redo it and right this time

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shoe said:
Do it right and replace the bad bolts. Don't make the next owner find the hard way you cheaped out on a repair!
Now that I know there is a kit and steps to fix the issue I will do it right. Although I don't intend on there being a "next" owner!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
The "kit" from Blaine is relatively new. Up until a few months ago you would have to go to the dealer and pay somewhere around $9-$15 a piece for each nutsert, which I've had to do already. Blaine had been looking for sometime, and finally managed to get a source for them. Even better is the low price. If you want someone to thank, send Blaine a thank you note; he goes by Black Magic Brakes on this forum and mrblaine on JeepForum.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I just bought a repair kit from Black Magic. They got it out the door super quick and you can't beat the price. Waaaaaaay cheaper than the dealer and high quality stuff to do the job right. I would recommend them 100%.

I would like some opinions....Would you guys replace all 6 even if only 2-3 were spinning. I kinda wanna use 2 for my little transmission skid plate. Those two smaller nutserts are stripped also.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
If the others seem to be in good condition, then it's up to you. On my 98 TJ I just replaced the bad ones because I was in a hurry, but you could always be proactive and replace everything. Can't really go wrong either way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This happens to me but all of mine didn't come out. So I just pride on the skid plate down and they came out after awhile. Then just retapped them and put new bolts in
What did you pry them with? Also, if I'm understanding you correctly the prying must have put enough pressure on the nutsert that it wouldn't spin allowing you to back the bolt out. Is the correct?

I'm really in a bind now though because I attempted to cut one of them out and I decided to use an angle grinder (which I think may have been a mistake). I was able to get most of the head off but I can't grind it down enough to get the plate off. Now I just have it flattened down to be even with the plate itself. Any suggestions on where to go from here?

·
Registered
62 Posts
cballou said:
What did you pry them with? Also, if I'm understanding you correctly the prying must have put enough pressure on the nutsert that it wouldn't spin allowing you to back the bolt out. Is the correct?

I'm really in a bind now though because I attempted to cut one of them out and I decided to use an angle grinder (which I think may have been a mistake). I was able to get most of the head off but I can't grind it down enough to get the plate off. Now I just have it flattened down to be even with the plate itself. Any suggestions on where to go from here?
I just kept prying down with a pry bar and turning the bolts. in hopes it would in screw but it didn't work they just stripped out. It took me a long time to get them out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since I've ground the bolt flush with the plate, would it make sense to try and drill the bolt out?

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Are you able to drop the skid plate away from the frame at all? In the past I've usually been able to get just enough room between the skid plate and the frame that I could slide a cutting wheel on my angle grinder in there and cut the bolt in order to drop the skid.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts