Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In association with my other 2 posts tonight (painting fender flares and removing rocker panel fender flare (hoping to leave off)....I also want to remove my stock running boards. I thought it would be pretty straightforward but how do I remove these bolts. There are 2 brackets (one pictured below). Each has 2 bolts/nuts but the bolt head is inside the tubular frame. I can remove the nut but worried about the bolt turning and I can't get to it. I assume after these 4 nuts/bolts are removed the thing just comes off.

Am I being stupid?

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:popcorn:
again you must be reading my mind I have the same set up.
good ?'s
If you also put in new headlights today let's just split the pot on the lottery winnings...:punk:

I'm having more fun modifying this thing (and adding to my list OF things to modify) than I ever did on my F-250 Diesel.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are you sure that is the right bolt? I just took mine off and it didn't look like that. I had 4 on each side that just bolted directly into the frame. The steps have kind of a hook on the bracket so once the bolts are out you kind of have to pick up on the step to get it out of the notch. Mine were both off in 5 min.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah...there are 2 brackets with 2 bolts each. I just double-checked. I can tell it has a little hook on it that I'd need to lift once the bolts are out. I just couldn't figure out for the life of me how the bolt comes out or...if I decided to put them back on...how the bolt tightens, since I can't get to the head of the bolt because it is inside the fully boxed frame. Got some good advice a couple of posts above....I guess I will take one out and see what happens. I sure want to get these things off...I think it looks a bit silly with them on there.

·
JEEP OUT
19,722 Posts
Are you sure that is the right bolt? I just took mine off and it didn't look like that. I had 4 on each side that just bolted directly into the frame. The steps have kind of a hook on the bracket so once the bolts are out you kind of have to pick up on the step to get it out of the notch. Mine were both off in 5 min.
I had to install mine, it did not have factory steps when I bought. and yes there were a u-shape bolt with a hooked attachment. Here was the installed pic

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
You know you can paint the step too. and anything else that's faded from black. I just did my wiper arms, mirrors, door handles, the forward corner pieces on the door windows, steps, and fenders today. I'll try post a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know you can paint the step too. and anything else that's faded from black. I just did my wiper arms, mirrors, door handles, the forward corner pieces on the door windows, steps, and fenders today.
Yeah...was looking at the bumper endcaps and license plate bracket today while I was shaking the paint can for the fender flares. Me and a can of paint are probably a dangerous thing....I will probably take the end caps off the bumpers, paint the license plate bracket and call it done (for now) :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I'm pretty sure the U-bolt is not standard. My OEM steps were faastened by four bolts going into rivnuts in the frame.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took 'em off today. It probably took less time to get them off than it did me asking the question last night. It was held in with a u-bolt similar to the pic above. Took both nuts off...rotated the U and out it comes. Easy Peasy...and I like the look better with the running boards. Now looking for rocker panel/sliders or something.

·
Registered
370 Posts
i love the looks of these and this is the kind of running boards i want to get,

are these factory "Jeep brand" ? and/or is there any aftermarket one that looks the same?

all the aftermarket i've found thus far is a tube, which leaves a big gap that a foot or such could slip into, i don't want any of the aftermarket i've yet ever seen anywhere; but those stock-looking(to me) ones i like and want those.

anyone know any info and what they cost? TIA!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
i love the looks of these and this is the kind of running boards i want to get,

are these factory "Jeep brand" ? and/or is there any aftermarket one that looks the same?

all the aftermarket i've found thus far is a tube, which leaves a big gap that a foot or such could slip into, i don't want any of the aftermarket i've yet ever seen anywhere; but those stock-looking(to me) ones i like and want those.

anyone know any info and what they cost? TIA!
They look like the factory step that came with many Jeeps; they shouldn't be hard to find, most people can't give them away after they take them off because no one wants them. Check the for sale section on here or JeepForum (there is usually a set on JF someone is trying to get rid of), and also check Craigslist or your local junkyards. I'd even put up a "want to buy" ad on Craigslist if you don't see any on there. Chances are someone has a set they're wanting to get rid of. As a last resort if you can't find anyone local that has a pair, I have a set I can ship to you. I'm just sure you can get them cheaper locally since you won't have to pay shipping.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The number of bolts and how the step attached to the frame changed during the TJ years . They were not all the same even though the step looke alike .

·
Registered
370 Posts
thanks folks!

"The number of bolts and how the step attached to the frame changed during the TJ years"

mine's an '06 fwiw, thanks for all the info, i'll go hunting then.

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Removed the steps on my 97 by 1. driving over big rocks with no lift and 31" tires and b. Two big Basketball size rocks. Once bent, removed bolts from threaded holes in frame. Once mangled steps had fallen off reinstalled bolts into frame so no holes remain. Replaced eventually with this:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts