Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm trying to strip everything out of the tub of my 1992 YJ so I can bed-line it. My problem is, some of the Torx Bolts are stripped out holding down the roll bar and seat belts. Anyone have any tricks for removing the stripped torx bolts? Secondly, does anyone sell replacement bolts? I don't care if they're Torx or not. Thanks.

-Will

·
Registered
638 Posts
You can either use a Bolt Extractor or if the bolt is big enough just weld a bolt (or nut) to it and use that bolt (or nut) with a tool.

My friend welds a nut almost everytime on stripped ones. Welds in the inside of the nut so the outside doesn't get messed up.

I've had some good luck with non seized bolts using an extractor/

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If you have that many, check your tool some are T27, but folks try to use a T25 because it almost fits and some kits don't have a 27 in them, it just strips them out. the weld the nut is a very good plain, some times you can just hammer on the head of it first and close the hole up some and loosen them a the same time and try come out. Good Luck!

·
Super Moderator
11,087 Posts
Ditto to what Locurid and Nubby said. If you have the proper sized torx then an impact driver might help to start the bolts loose. Mine came out with a 3/8 drive impact wrench (surprised me). Hex head bolts will work in most applications but my '87 YJ seat belt bolts are fine thread and the bolts that hold the end of the retractor belt to the floor have a shoulder. Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I got the seatbelt bolt out finally. Almost burned my seatbelt up in the process. Close call. Now, the bolts that hold the belts and seats in are safety bolts? The guy at autozone said I'd have to order new ones from the dealership because they are safety bolts. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks again gents.

-Will

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had luck using a TP instead of a standard torx. A TP is more rounded on the apexes of the torx and gets more of a grip. Even after stripping them with a standard torx, the TP seems to grip and get them out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My YJ doesn't have security bolts holding the belts and seats in, they are just standard torx. The seatbelt bolts had some sort of sealant/threadlocker on them. I believe the security ones have the bump in the center of the star, requiring special bits to remove. I have those holding my roll bar to the bars attached to the windshield for some reason. I don't think I've seen them anywhere else so far on my Jeep.

http://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Point-Tamper-Proof-Piece/dp/B002P4YCGM/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1400857367&sr=8-10&keywords=torx+security

Hmm, may want to check that set before you bother buying it, I think the security bit I needed was a T-50 and that set doesn't have it.

Maybe this one: http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10073A-Socket-Security-13-Piece/dp/B00078V7B6/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1400857471&sr=8-8&keywords=torx+security

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had luck using a TP instead of a standard torx. A TP is more rounded on the apexes of the torx and gets more of a grip. Even after stripping them with a standard torx, the TP seems to grip and get them out.
Pardon my ignorance on this one, but what's a TP?

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm not too keen on anything Autozone says lol.

One time I pulled in with a leaking brake hose and the cashier said that since "I'm aware of a safety issue with your car I'm not sure I can let you leave with your car"

I looked at him, laughed and left....with my car.

I have to replace seat belts in our School Buses sometimes and the kits come with Grade 5 bolts.....

·
Registered
957 Posts
Good to know. I just assumed TP meant tamper proof. Because my torx set is a tamper proof set.

·
Registered
442 Posts
before I spent money on the tamper proof set I'd try and remove the little rod in the middle of the torx. And replacing them... no telling what one would cost from the dealership, I would just go get a bolt the same size from the hardware store, Fastenal has a very wide range of bolts and specialty fasteners. Home | Fastenal

·
Registered
199 Posts
As to your question about new bolts, I believe its quadratec that has a kit for around 200 bucks that replaces every torx bolt with a standard hex bolt. Might be worth it if you're already taking everything out just to get all the right sizes and lengths

·
Registered
10 Posts
removed stripped torx

i spotted them with a 5/16 drill then welded 5/16 x 1 bolts now you have the heat penetrate they come rite out

1 - 20 of 20 Posts