Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Universal joint U straps bolts worked loose. Drive shaft sheared off three of the bolts in the universal yoke. How do you remove the yoke? It looks like there is a nut on the yoke. Any advice greatly appreciated.

1992 Wrangler 4.0 manual.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Let's assume that you are referring to the yoke on either the front or rear differential, don't matter which. Yes, the nut holds the yoke on, however, it's not that simple. The nut on the yoke squeezes two VERY important bearings, called 'pre-load'. So if you are going to reuse the same yoke, make a mark on the nut that aligns with a mark you make on the yoke as well, then count the EXACT number of turns that it takes to remove the nut. When re-installing, use the EXACT number of turns to tighten the nut so that the marks that you made align and then go about an 1/8th or 1/4" tighter and you should be good.

Now if you are going to replace the yoke, I will let someone with more knowledge about the subject make recommendations.

If it were me, I would try to remove the broken bolts from the yoke on the vehicle, shouldn't be that hard. Let us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
^this

Don't take the yoke off you will never get the reload on the pinion bearings right especially if you buy a new yoke.

Reactions: ?knows

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
If you replace the yoke, you have to remove the carrier and set the preload to specs. Re install carrier and axles back and you good to go. Little more work, but do it right the first time.

Reactions: ?knows

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
axels?

If you replace the yoke, you have to remove the carrier and set the preload to specs. Re install carrier and axles back and you good to go. Little more work, but do it right the first time.
In order to remove/replace the rear yoke, will I have to remove the axels? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!

Let's assume that you are referring to the yoke on either the front or rear differential, don't matter which. Yes, the nut holds the yoke on, however, it's not that simple. The nut on the yoke squeezes two VERY important bearings, called 'pre-load'. So if you are going to reuse the same yoke, make a mark on the nut that aligns with a mark you make on the yoke as well, then count the EXACT number of turns that it takes to remove the nut. When re-installing, use the EXACT number of turns to tighten the nut so that the marks that you made align and then go about an 1/8th or 1/4" tighter and you should be good.

Now if you are going to replace the yoke, I will let someone with more knowledge about the subject make recommendations.

If it were me, I would try to remove the broken bolts from the yoke on the vehicle, shouldn't be that hard. Let us know how it turns out...
Thanks for the great information and it is the rear diff. Not a project I am looking forward to tacking. LOL

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Manual

What is a good manual to read on how to do this job?

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Search for "setting the pinion preload on a Dana 35". Not hard to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Universal joint U straps bolts worked loose. Drive shaft sheared off three of the bolts in the universal yoke. How do you remove the yoke? It looks like there is a nut on the yoke. Any advice greatly appreciated.

1992 Wrangler 4.0 manual.
Thanks everyone!

Tried to get the three sheared bolts out with yoke in place. No go. Next will try small drill bit and ez-outs. If no ioy, will get U-bolts and drill out the threaded holes replacing the straps/bolts with U-bolts.. Last resort, replace the yoke.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Thanks everyone!

Tried to get the three sheared bolts out with yoke in place. No go. Next will try small drill bit and ez-outs. If no ioy, will get U-bolts and drill out the threaded holes replacing the straps/bolts with U-bolts.. Last resort, replace the yoke.
Drill them out and replace them with u-bolts, easiest and best solution.

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
Drill them out and replace them with u-bolts, easiest and best solution.
This is the simplest and easiest solution. As a bonus, the straps (U-bolts) are sturdier than the caps & bolts.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts