Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just bought a new Jeep Wrangler. Is there any way to remove the softop without removing the hard top?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
If you have a 4 door, I have heard it is possible to get it out through the rear side door. A lot of twisting and turning is involved from what I hear.

On a 2 door, no. The hard top has to be removed, or at least lifted up off the Jeep enough, for the soft top to be removed.

481 Posts
I have the four door, don't risk it. Remove the hard top, remove the soft top, replace the hard top. A few friends, 20 minutes tops.

·
Registered
216 Posts
stupid question - as a not yet jeep owner, can someone explain the point of having a soft top under the hard top - sounds pointless.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
marc1230 said:
stupid question - as a not yet jeep owner, can someone explain the point of having a soft top under the hard top - sounds pointless.
That's how the dual top usually comes from the dealer

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Absolutely not. The owners manual requires one of the tops be removed ASAP.
The soft top can be damaged if it is kept on under the hard top. It will rub and wear holes in it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My dealer is telling me I have to bring it back and it takes 2 HOURS to do and I don't know if they are going to charge me! Is it really that hard???

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
My dealer is telling me I have to bring it back and it takes 2 HOURS to do and I don't know if they are going to charge me! Is it really that hard???
That's crazy! Get a friend, it takes 2 beers and 30 minutes of time to remove hard top, then soft top and reinstall hard top.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Do it yourself, that way you know how to put it back on when you want to use it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My buddy and I did it in less than 20 minutes. On the 4 door, Remove freedom panels and set aside. there are 6 Torx bolts to remove (2 under where the freedom panels were, 4 in the back, Raise the rear glass window. remove the 4 10mm hex nuts holding the soft top onto rear roll bars. Undo the power connector and rear windshield hose (Yes it does pull apart, you have to squeeze the quick connect on the side)

Now, get your buddy to go inside and lift up the top with his back, only about a foot, as you slide out the soft top from the back. Lower hard top back onto jeep. Re-connect Power & washer fluid hose. Put 6 bolts back in, put freedom panels back on.

Done.
Have rest of beer that you did not have time to finish, cause taking the soft top out did not take long enough.:thumb:

EDIT: Call back your stealeship, and tell the shop manager that if it takes his shop guys 2hrs to do this job, then he needs to hire new shop guys.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stealer ship told me 4 hrs for them to install my factory soft top for me. 400$!! Thanks to forum members..... 1.5 hours with my son. Free and now I know how to install and remove. There is an awesome PDF you can print that a member made up that blows chryslers instr away !!!! No faith in dealership now!!!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Exactly how I did it.

My buddy and I did it in less than 20 minutes. On the 4 door, Remove freedom panels and set aside. there are 6 Torx bolts to remove (2 under where the freedom panels were, 4 in the back, Raise the rear glass window. remove the 4 10mm hex nuts holding the soft top onto rear roll bars. Undo the power connector and rear windshield hose (Yes it does pull apart, you have to squeeze the quick connect on the side)

Now, get your buddy to go inside and lift up the top with his back, only about a foot, as you slide out the soft top from the back. Lower hard top back onto jeep. Re-connect Power & washer fluid hose. Put 6 bolts back in, put freedom panels back on.

Done.
Have rest of beer that you did not have time to finish, cause taking the soft top out did not take long enough.:thumb:

EDIT: Call back your stealeship, and tell the shop manager that if it takes his shop guys 2hrs to do this job, then he needs to hire new shop guys.

·
Registered
396 Posts
What type of beer and should it be cans or bottles
I tend to stick with cans in my Garage, cause I don't like glassware when working in the garage because I'll probably tip one over and break it on the cement floor.

Even better option: Home brew, from Keg, out of a perlick faucet, into a RSC.

RSC: Red Solo Cup

dp

·
Registered
100 Posts

Done.

Actually it is 6 torx bolts in the back and 2 under the tops, 8 bolts total. On the wiper wiring, slide the small red tab out, then depress the quick release grey tab and pull. Comes off easy. The fluid line is pretty tight, takes a bit of a tug.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts