Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some pointers on how to get a tub off of a YJ. I'm in a basement garage, with about a 7-8' ceiling. I have floor joists above me, that I might be able to put anchors in to lift from. I have a hi-lift at my disposal, a floor jack, jack stands, saw horses, and a 1 ton engine hoist.

I have the 8 body mounts disconnected, only 4 of them actually had bolts in them, which is disconcerting. The front clip is gone. Brakes are disconnected, all wires that I can find that went from the tub to the frame are disconnected. gas filler is disconnected. Do I need to drop the tank?

What does the tub weigh? I thought about putting anchors in the floor joists above me, and then running straps or something from the tub to the anchors, then ratcheting it up one corner at a time. I dont know if there's such thing as a ratchet strap designed to hold this much weight? My goal is to roll the frame out from under the tub, to clean it up, repair, and paint it.

How have others accomplished this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
740 Posts
When I took my tub off the frame it was completely bare, my brother and I picked it up and moved it across the shop without too much effort. I'd say the bare tub weighs about 200-250 lbs. The rollbar can easily be picked up by one person. If you are keeping the rollbar and all interior installed while you lift it, I'd guess around 500 lbs.

You can get ratchet straps that will lift it... some of them are rated 20,000 lbs, so that won't be a problem.

Also, I should have mentioned at the beginning of the post that I kinda suck at judged weight or long distances. Good luck!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Same thing when I did mine, I stripped everything out, windshield frame,steering column,hood,tailgate, dash, doors seats once everything was out just took couple us to lift it off and I put mine on a rotating pedestal for street rods to do it but jack stands work just as well. You will probably want to remove all that I described anyway because it makes it all that much easier to redo everything to come out perfect.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My two main issues are:
Space, I don't have a lot of it, so moving around is tough. My garage is one bay, but a little more than two cars deep. So it's not all that wide. Diyj is ask the way in the back. So I think it would be best if I could lift the tub in place, then roll the frame out from under it.

The other is time. I have all the time in the world to finish this, but it's usually a last minute "I think I'll work on the project today" sort of thing. So it would be really nice to figure out a way to lift this up and down on my own. Which is where the ratchet idea came from.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I lift my tub with an engine hoist and some ratchet straps. Super easy and can be done with one person. I roll it around to where I need it.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
The engine lift is probably your best and safest method. I used the ratchet strap from the rafter method and it worked fine, but was kind of scary lowering it. Ratchet straps only ratchet one way.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The engine lift is probably your best and safest method. I used the ratchet strap from the rafter method and it worked fine, but was kind of scary lowering it. Ratchet straps only ratchet one way.
You could do same concept but with a come along. Or even jeep winch.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea, I bought some hefty ratchet straps for this, then had the exact same thought. Guess I'll figure it out before I lift it. I think I can ratchet it down a few clicks at a time if I'm careful. I'll rig something up to test that before I try to lift the tub.

Problem with the engine host is that the only way I can see it working is if I come at it from the side, and then roll it away from the frame. I don't have the room for that. Has anyone done that from the rear? Bring the host up from behind the jeep. It looks like the arm wouldn't be long enough to balance the tub.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I do mine from the rear. You just have to take your time with the straps. I use 4 straps. One at each corner of the body. The rear 2 are tightened first, then the fronts. You have to extend the boom on the hoist out quite far. Please understand I have my jeep on jack stands right now with no wheels so the legs of the engine hoist easily extend under the jeep.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts