Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just bought an '05 Wrangler, and the previous owner put some wide tires on. (Sorry, I don't have the actual size handy right now) Anyway, I'm wondering if it is worth purchasing a set of stock rims or upgrading to a different brand of rim.

As a side note, the spare is still on the stock rim with the stock tire.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Hi all. I just bought an '05 Wrangler, and the previous owner put some wide tires on. (Sorry, I don't have the actual size handy right now) Anyway, I'm wondering if it is worth purchasing a set of stock rims or upgrading to a different brand of rim.

As a side note, the spare is still on the stock rim with the stock tire.
I have a set of stock tires on stock wheels with 100 miles on them. Where are you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Boise, Idaho. I'm mostly interested in the rims so I can run some decent 31" all terrains.

The wide tires are 30" and make the Jeep look a little wide and squatty. Is there a benefit to wide tires while offroading?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I'm confused...what is a wide tire to you?? With a 30" tire i'd guess them to be around 9.5" wide...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll get the measurements, but they're wide enough to stick out past the fenders by at least an inch. It's not a huge deal, but I'm not too keen on the look. Until you get into much larger tires, don't most of them fit into the fender wells...even when flexing?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
If they are only 30" and are sticking out, it has to be the back spacing of the rims

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they are only 30" and are sticking out, it has to be the back spacing of the rims
Thanks, that would make sense. I've never messed around with back spacing on rims, I'll look at it a little closer this weekend.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Agreed...

the cheaper way would be to just get new flares that cover more of your tire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are there wheel spacers installed ?
I won't get a chance to check until this weekend, but I'm betting there are. If there are, I'm getting rid of them. Anyone want free spacers? lol

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I won't get a chance to check until this weekend, but I'm betting there are. If there are, I'm getting rid of them. Anyone want free spacers? lol
If ya got them and are going to be getting rid of them, I've got a friend who stripped 2 bolts off his wheel spacers and hasn't been able to drive his jeep.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts