Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, for doing the paint job, there's a few things I need adressed.

1) The plastic cover that reads "Jeep" between the front bumper and the grill...can it be entirely removed (read discarded) or would something need to go in its place when my friend gets a winch. I'm really concerned about the paint not sticking said part.

2) Is it possible to remove the plastic coverings from the dash and tape the gauges for repaint or does the entire unit need to come out. And by plastic coverings I don't mean just the gauge sections, I'm talking the full pad that meets the windshield frame.

3) Can the main grille assembly be removed? The reason I ask this is his YJ used to have a hood lock and he didn't want it. We tried unsucessfully to remove the main grille assembly.

4) Do the flares simply bolt on, or is it more involved...or less involved (I believe the JK units are clip on)

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Ok, for doing the paint job, there's a few things I need adressed.

1) The plastic cover that reads "Jeep" between the front bumper and the grill...can it be entirely removed (read discarded) or would something need to go in its place when my friend gets a winch. I'm really concerned about the paint not sticking said part.

2) Is it possible to remove the plastic coverings from the dash and tape the gauges for repaint or does the entire unit need to come out. And by plastic coverings I don't mean just the gauge sections, I'm talking the full pad that meets the windshield frame.

3) Can the main grille assembly be removed? The reason I ask this is his YJ used to have a hood lock and he didn't want it. We tried unsucessfully to remove the main grille assembly.

4) Do the flares simply bolt on, or is it more involved...or less involved (I believe the JK units are clip on)

1) The swaybar cover will get nixxed if your buddy gets a winch and replaced with a winch mount. If he decides he wants to paint that plastic piece, Krylon Fusion works really well for plastic parts. Just remember that the prep work (clean-up) will make or break you when it comes to painting anything.

2)You can remove the dash pad completely to paint the dash. Check out a Chilton's shop manual (or something similar) to ease this process. It's pretty easy, but it's always good to have a shop manual handy.

3)Yes, the main grille assembly can be removed but it'll be a pain in the ass to do so. Once again, the shop manual will be a Godsend with this project.

4)The flares are all screwed in. Hit them with some penetrating oil and let them soak before attempting to loosen them. They're subject to lots of water/mud in their lifetimes and are usually a bit sticky and easy to break without the penetrating oil.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated with pics, we all love to be armchair mechanics/painters!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It probably won't get painted till late spring/early summer next year if we go HVLP route. I'm going to school for body shop and if we do the Jeep with a pro spray gun and everything, I want to wait till I have a little more time under my belt.

I'm considering pulling the radiator and masking the grill from behind so the grill can stay in place.

Probably a crazy idea, but what about lifting the body off the frame and rolling the frame and motor out from underneath or is that something that should be avoided at all costs?

Can the sway bar cover be nixxed and that space remain blank until he gets a winch? We're aiming for a WWII MB/GPW paint scheme using his one grandfather's unit number and everything since my friend had ALWAYS wanted that grandfather's 62 Willys.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
It probably won't get painted till late spring/early summer next year if we go HVLP route. I'm going to school for body shop and if we do the Jeep with a pro spray gun and everything, I want to wait till I have a little more time under my belt.

I'm considering pulling the radiator and masking the grill from behind so the grill can stay in place.

Probably a crazy idea, but what about lifting the body off the frame and rolling the frame and motor out from underneath or is that something that should be avoided at all costs?

Can the sway bar cover be nixxed and that space remain blank until he gets a winch? We're aiming for a WWII MB/GPW paint scheme using his one grandfather's unit number and everything since my friend had ALWAYS wanted that grandfather's 62 Willys.
HVLP is the way to go, you get alot better coverage with so much less waste. Be sure to use a good gun, though.

To be honest with you, I'd do the same thing with the grille. Pull the radiator and mask from behind. As for lifting the body and rolling out the frame......it's pretty involved, but not hard. There's wiring to think about, body mounts, steering linkages, etc....but it's definately possible. It all depends on what you want the finished product to look like. Do you want a concours restoration or do you want a resto-mod? Or a full custom? It's all up to you, but remember this.....it's a Jeep and it's probably going to get off-roaded. Which means don't make it so nice that you don't want to use it off-road.

As for the sway bar cover....sure, you can nix it without having a winch there. It's only purpose is asthetics. Pull it off if you want, it's not going to hurt anything.

Cool idea to paint it up in a military style, definately post the pics!!
:)
Jordan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts