Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I woke up to a ripped window and my jeep gone through and $4 stolen along with my air freshener. I live in NY and its pretty cold out and lots of snow :( This just shows the importance of having to correct the problem quickly and nothing was posted on how to repair something like this so ...
This was the driver side rear window on a factory soft top. It appears to have been cut a few times then unzipped and thats how they got in. I took a drive to home depot and searched for a solution. I found clear tape, that looks thick enough to be a permanent fix. This was made by Gorilla, ( same company that makes Gorilla glue ), and the label on the package was " Clear Repair". Cost about $5.00. Purchased 1 roll and back home to start project.
Removed window and brought into house, cleaned outside of window first with diluted mild liquid dish soap, wiped any residue with damp cloth and dried with hair dryer. Placed tape just past window over split or tear, careful to not get any air bubbles, then trim off excess tape carefully with razor blade. Repeat for the inside section and reinstall on jeep.
Finished product turned out great and cost me gas to home depot and $5 for tape. Hope this helps somebody out.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've never used the Gorilla clear tape but their black duct tape is awesome stuff.

Criminals is stupid I guess...you almost have to hang a little sign pointing to the zipper saying "unzip here" just to make sure they don't cut the top for no good reason.

I used to never lock my jeep for this very reason. Of course, if they went straight for the knife instead of trying to unzip it first, I doubt they'd have had the presence of mind to try the door

·
Registered
92 Posts
When the weather is nicer if you want to get the window replaced may I suggest you contact an awning / tent company or boat shop. Boat shops in particular, have access to the plastic used for the windows. They can sew a new piece in and often times it's cheaper than purchasing a new window panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts