Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about 2 years, my Maxiumus-3 bumper mods are rusting like crazy. I've been planning to take it off and buy something new, but as I look around, I keep coming back to the fact that I like the look of my bumper now more than just about anything else out there. However, I don't want this rusty hunk of metal ugly-ing up my Jeep. ;)

Any thoughts on how to best repair and repaint it? I'm sure, with the extent of the rust, I can't just spray bedliner over it, it'll need some serious work. Is it worth trying to save, especially with a small hole already forming on one of the welds? I don't want to put hours of work into sanding, prepping, painting, etc. only to have it rust up again in a year.

Here are pics of what I'm dealing with. There isn't rust on the bar, but the winch mount, light mounts, etc. are covered.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
If you really want it right. It needs to be blasted to bare metal. That will clean in tight corners and leave a nice profile for new paint to stick. A small air compressor and a Harbor freight sand blast pot will do the trick. That's a handy item to have around anyway, good for axles and any rusty steel item.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip. I'll drop by HF next week and check that out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts