Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my soft top fabric and I was looking at either the Replace A Top or the sailcloth. Does anybody have experience with both of these? Is the Sailcloth better enough to justify the extra cost?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I just bought a smittybilt denim top on ebay for 239. I'll let you know what I think when I install it. I hear the sail cloth is a lot more quiet.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The way I see it a soft top is a sof top, only if you are buying from a quality brand like bestop I have the R.A.T. and it's perfect it's a Jeep so I wasn't looking for less sound or "warmer" I just needed a soft top I would save the extra money in my opinion

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
The Sailcloth version of Bestop's Replace-a-Top is MUCH better in all ways and is definitely the way to go. Sailcloth is a 3-layer fabric that is not only heavier duty and longer lasting, it will make your interior substantially (!!) quieter. Newer Wranglers have been coming with Bestop's Sailcloth tops as OE equipment since the early 2000 or 2001 model year.

·
Registered
413 Posts
My 02 still has the original top. Stitching is now starting to come apart so I'm busily repairing as I can. Other than that top is in excellent shape. Sailcloth is holding up extremely well...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I did was break 4-5 teeth off of the side curtain zipper on the main cloth piece. The window will not zip back on. It's 6 years old.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
Take it to a boat top repair shop, they have those in or close to Vegas towards Lake Mead. They can repair or replace just the zipper part.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Take it to a boat top repair shop, they have those in or close to Vegas towards Lake Mead. They can repair or replace just the zipper part.
x2 on the boat repair shop to just fix the zipper.

IF you do have to get a new one though, Sailcloth is definitely the way to go!!!

·
Registered
229 Posts
The previous owner of our Jeep replaced with a Rugged Ridge top (Bestop makes all of them anyway) but wanted it to be quieter and purchased a Sailcloth top. It is substantially much more quiet than the Rugged Ridge IMHO.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would not do anything other than a bestop. If you have the top up often then the sailcloth is worth it. If you have a hard top or live in a climate the top is off most of the year (I wish) save the $$.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The previous owner of our Jeep replaced with a Rugged Ridge top (Bestop makes all of them anyway) but wanted it to be quieter and purchased a Sailcloth top. It is substantially much more quiet than the Rugged Ridge IMHO.
Bestop does not manufactuer for Ruggid Ridge. The onet brand under Bestop is Pavement Ends. It's ther lower level line and is much thinner.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does anyone know the difference in the actual material and the number of layers? I have a bestop replace a top and notice that my girlfreinds samurai has a more heavy duty top that is suppose to be just a replacement top.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I bought a sailcloth best top
there is no comparison between sail and regular factory tj top which was a best top

now I had trouble mounting it,the top was 2" longer so I had to fold my top twice and bolt it to the header.My hardware looks great and I couldnt figure out why,I suggested that maybe best top made a mistake....and I got hated on,lol.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The Sailcloth version of Bestop's Replace-a-Top is MUCH better in all ways and is definitely the way to go. Sailcloth is a 3-layer fabric that is not only heavier duty and longer lasting, it will make your interior substantially (!!) quieter. Newer Wranglers have been coming with Bestop's Sailcloth tops as OE equipment since the early 2000 or 2001 model year.
I cannot emphasize this truth anymore. The sailcloth is incredibly more quiet and durable than the non sailcloth version.
Not that I am suggesting it one way or another, but you can actually carry on a normal volume phone conversation with the sailcloth top.
The sailcloth is totally worth the extra money. You will easily forget about the $114 difference in price between the sailcloth and non, over the life of your new top.

Sailcloth became available as the OEM standard in 2003.

·
Registered
787 Posts
several differences. SailTop is quieter. No night and day difference like some claim, but a little. the sailtop doesn't flap around like standard top. It's thicker, so it's stiffer.

Sailtops are harder to tighten, so you won't have the flexibility to take down and put back together when it's cooler. Or, at least, without difficulty or damaging something.

Example, my original top, below 70, forget it. It had to sit in the sun and get hot before I could lock it down and install the windows. Typical top, no problem, I can do it in 50 degrees at night.

It's a tradeoff, if you ride around a lot with the top down, early spring, late fall, it's gonna be harder to get the sailcloth top back together. Cheaper top this isn't a problem. But, in the cheaper top is gonna flap like hell in the summer.

The tops will shrink, so the sailcloth is gonna get tighter.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
I've had three different Saillcloth tops, one on my previous '97 (I replaced its OE non-Sailcloth with Sailcloth) and two on my present '04... to me, replacing the OE non-Sailcloth with a Sailcloth top made a "night and day" difference in the interior noise level. On Sailcloth being harder to install, it is a bit tighter but in no way can I not install it and get the windows installed in cool weather. It's easier when the top is warm, obviously, but it's a non-issue so far as I am concerned.

After having had my two Sailcloth tops, I'd never go back to the non-Sailcloth top like my '97 TJ came with. The Sailcloth fabric is just too nice and makes the interior noticeably quieter. To me, it's dramatically quieter than it was before when I had the non-Sailcloth OE Top.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts