Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, my engine light came on a month ago and the code was for a cylinder misfire. I replaced the spark plugs and checked wires and injectors. that didnt help.

I brought it to my jeep dealership and this is what they said.
"Customer states that the check engine light is on inspected and tested to verify condition. Installed star scan tool and found stored fault code for #4 cylinder misfire. tested and PCM is not currently counting misfires. Inspected spark plugs. wires and injectors swapped injectors and retested. misfire did not change need to remove and possibly replace cylinder to correct the #4 misfire."

okay, first of all, damn it.
second, does this mean to replace the cylinder head? Is this a job I could do?
Looking for advice from who has done this or if you have any help at all, that would rock!

THANKS!

·
Registered
358 Posts
A compression test would tell you if it was a cylinder issue. If compression is low then yes if not I would look elsewhere for an issue.

·
Registered
358 Posts
If it passed a compression test I don't know why they want to pull the head. Should be fuel or spark unless the cam has worn down to where it won't open the valves. Then that would be the reason to pull the head. I doubt the cam is the issue though that's more of a Chevy issue.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just thinking, could the report mean, change the injector for that cylinder? Obviously, you really can't change a cylinder on your engine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
sounds like the dealer wants to throw the most expensive parts at it.

You swapped the injector and saw no change. Changed the spark plug and checked the wires. Still fails. Compression checked out for that cyl. I am thinking an electrical issue as well

1 - 9 of 9 Posts