Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone stole the ECM out of my 99 TJ. How do I find one to replace it without having the part numbers? It is a 4.0 with 5speed. Do i have to find a calif emission ECM ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is SKIM? i was told if i buy one on line i have to go to the dealer and have it flashed so it will work in my jeep? really?

·
Registered
15,688 Posts
For a 1999 skim (sentry key imobilizer system) is an option
If your key head is gray it is a chipped key for skim

All pcm are skim capable
A pcm from a vehicle without skim is happy unless it is plugged a vehicle that also has a skim module in the Column
One a PCM experiences three starts with a skim module plugged in the skim function is activated and married to that specific skim module

If you don’t have skim any 99 4.0 same tranny calif emissions TJ PCM that was from a non skim vehicle will work plug and play

If you have skim and remove the skim module before installing the replacement non skim active pcm again will be fine plug and play BUT only if you remove skim module before installing the pcm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For a 1999 skim (sentry key imobilizer system) is an option
If your key head is gray it is a chipped key for skim

All pcm are skim capable
A pcm from a vehicle without skim is happy unless it is plugged a vehicle that also has a skim module in the Column
One a PCM experiences three starts with a skim module plugged in the skim function is activated and married to that specific skim module

If you don’t have skim any 99 4.0 same tranny calif emissions TJ PCM that was from a non skim vehicle will work plug and play

If you have skim and remove the skim module before installing the replacement non skim active pcm again will be fine plug and play BUT only if you remove skim module before installing the pcm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thanks for the info. i have a black key. my brothers jeep has the gray key. they got his ecm too

·
Registered
427 Posts
Stole your ECM? Absolutely bizarre.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Not bizarre at all. Sounds like easy pickings for a tweeker out to make a quick buck. No hood lock on TJs and easy access to the ECM makes this a quick and easy job. California has more than enough tweekers to make this a pretty common occurrence.

When I lived there, I thought it was odd they would steal spark plugs out of motorcycles until I saw a video of a guy decimating a car window with the bits from a crushed spark plug.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
They use the porcelain part of a spark plug as a crack pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts