Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone - I just purchased an 87 YJ 4cyl 5sp and the lights for the speedo and tach are out. I can't see a thing when it's night time so I don't know how fast I'm going. Is there any way to replace the bulbs? I haven't tried taking apart the gauge cluster yet but figured I'd ask folks here first before I start.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Hey everyone - I just purchased an 87 YJ 4cyl 5sp and the lights for the speedo and tach are out. I can't see a thing when it's night time so I don't know how fast I'm going. Is there any way to replace the bulbs? I haven't tried taking apart the gauge cluster yet but figured I'd ask folks here first before I start.

Thanks.
To answer your question, yes the bulbs can be changed out.

you try just changing the fuse yet?
But this is a good place to start if they are all out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dah...

ok, I figured if the fuse was out then the gauges wouldn't be working either. I'll give that a try. I did try the dimmer and it worked on the rest of the gauges, just not the speedo and tach. Thanks for the suggestion...all this jeep stuff is new to me. I've worked with sport compact cars for awhile now so this seems like a whole new world. Especially since it's a much older vehicle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
lights

Do what I did, turn on parking lights and while looking at em take your left hand and move the fuse's around with your thumb and see if you can get the lights to flicker. thats all that was wrong with my dash lights and stereo, it was my dome light fuse. So I took out all my fuse's and soldered both sides of all the fuse blades(just to make the blades a lil thicker) and now everything works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Jeepers! I've been having the exact same problem with my '95 S. Since I'm a city girl it hasn't annoyed me much(all the bright lights in the city). I was browsing and found this thread, so, dammit if I don't try out your suggestions and see if they work for me! I'll let you know... Forums are cool:D ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts