Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 JK - Oil Cooler leak

I've managed to remove the Oil cooler, and taken a look at it. I don't see any cracks, but the gaskets are really worn and flat. I'm trying to weigh my options here. I can spend $150 on a new oil cooler, or $15 on gaskets, and risk having to take everything out again if the oil cooler is actually cracked.

has anyone just replaced the gaskets and that fixed the problem?

i realize not all situations are the same, but since this is a common problem, i'm hoping there's a common solution. just looking at it, it's obvious the gaskets are worn down to almost flush with the metal

·
Registered
270 Posts
I just did the seals and actually I did them as PM.

That said, if you perform a smoke test it any cracks will be obvious. It's probably the seals. :)

<D>

·
Registered
736 Posts
i'd look at the part # and determine what version I have...
they are on the 6th incarnation (AF)
the earlier the version , the more likely i'd replace the whole cooler

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
for the amount of work involved I would spend the extra $150 if it were me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you already have it apart, replace it. Mine went while I was driving and i poured oil everywhere though I had a very small leak and knew it was going to go. My 14 was around 70k miles

·
Registered
270 Posts
i'd look at the part # and determine what version I have...
they are on the 6th incarnation (AF)
the earlier the version , the more likely i'd replace the whole cooler
This is a great point and I should qualify my earlier comment to say that I have a 2017 so I *think* I had the latest model (if not the latest a later one).

<D>

·
Registered
736 Posts
just for the record
I would replace the whole unit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts