Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm relatively mechanically inclined - meaning I can usually fix whatever. My engine is coming up on 225k and starting to show it's age. Leaky, rough idle and poor power output. My question is - should I invest in a remanufactured engine and attempt the transplant myself, OR should I attempt to rebuild it with one of those kits you can buy? For a "shadetree" mechanic, which would be more realistic? Thanks for the opinions!!

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok well then, that sure looks like a ton of work! So I'll shy away from the rebuild myself. But now I've got to decide - should I go with a remanufactured engine, or a "used" engine? I can get a used engine for probably less than 1/2 of what a reman costs. Plus, if I go with the remanufactured engine, I've got to tear down the existing engine somewhat and deal with returning a core...

·
Registered
755 Posts
Do a compression test. Your engine may have some life left in it. How old is the exhaust? A bad catalytic converter can start to take your power down. Clean the intake, IAC and throttle body. I6 engines are amazingly resilient engines. You can buy an appropriate year Cherokee with 150k ( rusted out, bad tranny and not usable) on it for $800 and be 75k Better off than you are now and have spare parts for your TJ. Sell some of that stuff and your new engine is free.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It depends on your comfort level as a mechanic.
I'm a shade tree mechanic with NO formal training. I've rebuilt 6 engines over the years, ranging from small 4-cyl to Ford 460 big block. Swapped a few, too. Basically, they are all the same.
Only special tools you need are a cherry picker, ring compressor and a torque wrench. A good machine shop for the block/head/crank work.
You can buy a kit or just buy the pieces.
You can use the time the block/head are in the shop to clean up and/or paint the engine bay.
If you do it yourself, you will know engine inside and out. Plus be able to say you really built your Jeep.

Good luck, which ever way you go!

·
Registered
343 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts