Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After checking out prices for new jeeps, I’ve decided to keep my TJ with 90k miles on it for another 10 or so more years. I spend a lot of time in the back country of Utah, so long-term reliability is critical. For my 90k service, I am not only changing the coolant but also the water pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. Normally I would change out plugs, spark-plug wires, distributor, pcv etc as well, but I have the ignition coil rail. I’m changing the plugs and wonder whether I should change the coil too. How prone to degradation and failure is the coil and is it likely to fail by 120k total miles? Opinions on whether I should replace it as part of a major overall renovation or let it go if and until it fails? Also, I am planning to use OEM MOPAR parts rather than other manufacturers. I know MOPAR costs a lot more, but I am betting that they are more reliable. Again, what advice do you have? Thanks in advance!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
For critical parts like that, I have learned to stick with Mopar. In 21 years of TJ ownership and over 50 years of car ownership, the only time I have had a failed coil was with an aftermarket ignition coil.

The last time I had an ignition coil failure it was the aftermarket Screaming Demon ignition coil sold by Quadratec. It was no more than a year old too. That was offroad and 50 miles from nowhere. It was fortunate someone in my wheeling group had a spare OE Mopar ignition coil with them.

·
Registered
15,669 Posts
Coil rails are pretty reliable but easy to pick up a spare at you pull it but beware the 1999 4.0 WJ connector is wired in a different order then all the rest

200-2001XJ and 2000-2006 TJ
And 2000-2004 WJ all interchange plug and play

It is also easy to swap to a V6 minivan coil plug and wires if you are so inclined

Even the viper V10 coil pack works as it has 2 coil packs one three pairs for six cylinders and one 2 pairs for the other 4 cylinders

If swapping to coil pack stick with Chrysler products as others can damage the coil drivers in the pcm by flowing too much current

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm at 165K on the original coil rail.

However, if you're going to the middle of nowhere, I'd carry a spare.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Even if you don't need it, you may be the Shining Knight that has a spare for some one else.

Reactions: LoopsandLogic

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice! My take-aways are:
1) The original coil rail is very reliable and does not need regular replacement
2) Stay with MOPAR parts.

Rees

1 - 6 of 6 Posts