Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5400 miles on my JKUR. Recently did my first 5-tire rotation at 5200 miles.

Just had a puncture in what was now my front-right tire (just rotated from the rear-right) that was unrepairable, so I replaced it with the spare (which was just rotated from the front-left).

I purchased a new tire, so now I have a brand-new spare. I assume I should put it on one of the wheels immediately so that it wears evenly, but which one? I am thinking the rear-left, since the current rear-right was previously the factory spare, and so it's also essentially brand-new.

That way I will have two brand-new tires on the rear, and the next rotation will bring them both to the front.

Any alternative suggestions?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I do my rotations (dealer suggested) using 4 wheels. Front to back, back to front, every 5000 miles. So i have a unused spare, now what? Well, the thought is come about new tire time, I take the best of what i've been using, and make it the new spare, then buy 3 tires and add my previously unused spare and I have 4 new tires. Your gonna get a lot of opinions on this.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do my rotations (dealer suggested) using 4 wheels. Front to back, back to front, every 5000 miles. So i have a unused spare, now what? Well, the thought is come about new tire time, I take the best of what i've been using, and make it the new spare, then buy 3 tires and add my previously unused spare and I have 4 new tires. Your gonna get a lot of opinions on this.
I have never had good luck keeping a spare tire in good enough condition to use as a new tire when purchasing them. Always seems to be some kind of UV or weather related issues because the tire just sits there exposed to the elements not being used.

To the OP. I would think the tire would wear faster being a steer tire rather than sitting on the rear.

·
Premium Member
9,571 Posts
For a vehicles like our Jeep you want to use a rearward cross tire rotation pattern. That is assuming your tires are non-directional. I would do just as you have planned. You just introduced your spare, a new tire to the rotation so it makes since to pair them p at the start.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I can't say for sure what you should do with the new tire but I rotate mine like this

I would guess put it on and if you rotate it the way in the pic I would keep it on one extra rotation to even it out then go back to the pic

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I can't say for sure what you should do with the new tire but I rotate mine like this

I would guess put it on and if you rotate it the way in the pic I would keep it on one extra rotation to even it out then go back to the pic
I also use this 5 tire method. Have 30k miles of on road/off road abuse on my KM2. My jeeps seem to wear out the passenger rear out the fastest. So I assume on daily driving stop light to stop light the power normally goes there. I would put the new tire passenger rear!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
This is great info..........I was wondering if the spare should be rotated in too.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I'd just put the new tire in the same spot where the damaged tire came from and rotate as usual. A 2nd option would be to use it as as spare and just save it. You'll only need to buy 4 the next time as long as you buy the same tires.

I prefer a 5 way rotation. I don't always buy the exact tires each time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts