Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my brake booster today and now the brake lights stay on. Is there a way to lengthen the booster rod that hooks to the brake pedal, or can the switch be adjusted. It was cold and snowing on me as I was working on it and I didn't feel like trying to become a contortionist to see how the switch is installed. Hopefully tomorrow is gonna be warm like the weatherman says because she's my DD.

·
Registered
86 Posts
guessing you have the shaft upsidedown or the switch was not reinstalled the correct way. I done mine while it was still on the bench. Did it fix the idle problem?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup the idle now stays at 700rpm. I did have to rotate the rod to make it line up, I'll try flipping it 1st then I'll check the switch. Thanks

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The brake light is controlled by the switch in the proportion valve. When the pressure is uneven theres a little rod in the valve that closes on side off ( front or rear brake) this is to ensure if you have a leak or blow a line you lose just that section not the whole system. When this is tripped it press the switch to and the brake light comes on.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I meant the brake lights on the back not the one on the dash.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well I crawled under the dash. The new booster rod is about a 1/4 inch shorter that the old one. I adjusted the brake light switch out a few notches. At first look I thought it was threaded and had a nut for adjustment, but it actually is notched and you just push it thru the holder.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with a reman from Autozone. It fixed the idle problem so I'm happy with that, and adjusting the switch makes the brake lights work correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts