Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Wanted to get your opinion. 2014 JKU and was just quoted $2400 to replace my thermostat, radiator, heater core and cooling fan. What do you think about the pricing?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
803 Posts
Why? What is the issue with your JKU? I'd get more opinions and pricing. Labor to R & R heater core would be the most. My dealer quoted me $149 to flush cooling system last week, yes I am a valued loyal customer & it is a maintenance service, therefore the deal.

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Hey all. Wanted to get your opinion. 2014 JKU and was just quoted $2400 to replace my thermostat, radiator, heater core and cooling fan. What do you think about the pricing?
The dealer replaced heater core, radiator, oil filter adapter, oil filter cooler housing, thermostat, radiator cap in our 2013 JK two years ago. I was told it would have cost me around $2,200 were it not for the lifetime MaxCare warranty I had on it at the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts

My thought, is that the price quoted is fair for replacement of all of those items. However, the more important question is, is replacing all of those items required? I cannot imagine why all of those would be dead at the same time. If you have a failed heater core, then OK replace the heater core. If your thermostat is out OK replace the thermostat, but just because your thermostat is bad doesn’t mean you need a new heater core. I would get a second opinion. Do you have a bad heater core, and the dealer is just suggesting to replace all of the other items because they are related, and hey while you’re in there might as well? That could be a fair point, but I would like to know the price difference in replacing just the affected parts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why? What is the issue with your JKU? I'd get more opinions and pricing. Labor to R & R heater core would be the most. My dealer quoted me $149 to flush cooling system last week, yes I am a valued loyal customer & it is a maintenance service, therefore the deal.
So I've never had an issue with the Jeep. This past Friday was at work and running a few errands. Get in my car going fine initially and then maybe after a mile it starts to totally overheat. Pull over and see there is coolant on top of the passenger fender, engine bay and all below. Get it towed and to a shop and that's what they told me that needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I see red lights flashing - "get it towed to a shop". Not my mechanics shop or to a dealer, just "a shop". Is this shop one you have dealt with before and therefore know and trust, or is it one the wrecker driver picked?

Coolant on top of a fender is indicative of a serious leak somewhere. It could the the water pump - I had one fail and water went everywhere - or a pinhole in the radiator - very possible with the new manufacturing technique. Neither would require replacement of the heater core (which is a big job, the other two items are simple).

·
Registered
803 Posts
So I've never had an issue with the Jeep. This past Friday was at work and running a few errands. Get in my car going fine initially and then maybe after a mile it starts to totally overheat. Pull over and see there is coolant on top of the passenger fender, engine bay and all below. Get it towed and to a shop and that's what they told me that needs to be replaced.

I See... sounds like the shop did a "shotgun" quote .. replace everything.. FYI.. Radiators on JK/JKUs have been know to have a leak occur on the passenger side. As I previously noted I would require more detailed diagnostics by the shop; especially with them quoting the heater core. rgreen65 has a valid point.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Reading back over this, what's with the fan as well? If it's the radiator that leaked (most likely) then all that needs replacing is the radiator. Granted, it takes a bit to get to it, but then it's pull it out and put the new one in. New hoses while they are at it.

Ironically the shop did not add one thing I would have agreed with - water pump. The cost of labor to replace it is almost more than the cost of the pump. I would have them replace it and get the old one. It could serve as an emergency back up down the road. I have several boxes with Jeep take off and accumulated just in case parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts