Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of rather cheap, er, inexpensive fog light choices on Amazon. Since I don't use fog lights much and mostly I'm looking to replace the 10 year old lenses that are scratched and don't look nice I have to admit I'm tempted.

What'd you buy? Do you like it? Anybody bought some El Cheapos?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I used the quadratec amber led fog lights, don’t have to worry about them matching the headlights and less glare on wet surfaces.

Reactions: TWMetcalfe

·
Premium Member
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
607 Posts
Inspired Engineering..they’re a vendor on here I do believe. Sami was great to deal with as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have the OEM Mopar LED fogs and don't have much use for them. They light up the ground out to like 25 really bright, but it's not like I can't see that part of the road fine with the regular lights. Even in actual fog it's not really any better than the headlights. And if anything, having extra brightness real close makes your vision further out worse. So I rarely turn them on, except off road at night as they give slightly better side lighting on tight turns, though even that benefit is minimal.

This is all in contrast to the LED headlights which are great.

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
These. I purchased in Feb of this year. I have been very happy with them. I have ProComp headlights and wanted something to match. They provide great coverage for fogs. Can't beat 'em in my opinion for under $35.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the OEM Mopar LED fogs and don't have much use for them. They light up the ground out to like 25 really bright, but it's not like I can't see that part of the road fine with the regular lights. Even in actual fog it's not really any better than the headlights. And if anything, having extra brightness real close makes your vision further out worse. So I rarely turn them on, except off road at night as they give slightly better side lighting on tight turns, though even that benefit is minimal.

This is all in contrast to the LED headlights which are great.
this times eleventy bazillion. fog lights for me are just about worthless. just trying to get something on the front that looks sharp. the lens is the real issue -all foggy (see what I did there?).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I put in KC Highlites LED headlights and then went with Quadratec LED fog lights. They work great but are a different color light than the headlights. But they were a lot cheaper. I use my fog lights as daytime running lights, so I wanted them bright. Like others said, they really only light up right in front of the Jeep. If I were doing it over, I would consider amber lights instead.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
These. I purchased in Feb of this year. I have been very happy with them. I have ProComp headlights and wanted something to match. They provide great coverage for fogs. Can't beat 'em in my opinion for under $35.
So you cut the factory plug off and use a solderless connector to wire them to the new fogs? Do you have a night pic by chance you could post?

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
love those. and they are so inexpensive! LOL
They actually out-perform the top quality LED headlights.
Baja makes some neat products.

I have JWS fogs. They do well as a foglight, help you crawl along, find the lines. We get dense fog here in the mountains and they work.
There are lots of numbnuts around here that run their fogs all the time though. Which kills your distant vision in normal conditions.

Baja makes a "pro" version that uses 4 spots. I believe they run at full and half power too. Those would be great to use with highbeams for highway driving.

·
Registered
2017 JKU Hard Rock
942 Posts
They actually out-perform the top quality LED headlights.
Baja makes some neat products.

I have JWS fogs. They do well as a foglight, help you crawl along, find the lines. We get dense fog here in the mountains and they work.
There are lots of numbnuts around here that run their fogs all the time though. Which kills your distant vision in normal conditions.

Baja makes a "pro" version that uses 4 spots. I believe they run at full and half power too. Those would be great to use with highbeams for highway driving.
The Sports can have all four spots, all four wide beam, or split, as pictured in your link (there’s also a work/scene lense). You can change out the lenses on Baja Designs; you can also choose clear or Amber lenses. They just came out with an SAE version, but you can’t swap lenses due to SAE regulations.

I have a pair of sports in my bumper, wide beam amber lenses, and they are brighter than my OEM LED headlights. I am going to swap out to the SAE lights though because I like to use them in actual fog on the highway, and they will definitely blind on-coming traffic.

The Pros put out more lumens, but I think only the LP series lights have high/low option. I have a pair of LP6s on my bumper.

I occasionally have to drive in thick fog. For me, the value of a fog light is being seen by others on the road, more than me being able to see through the fog. A good bright amber light really helps others see you coming, while limiting the light refracting in front you, hurting your own ability to see.

I’d like to set up a nice rear fog too. Again it’s about being seen by others. A rear fog, for those that don’t know, is basically just like an illuminated brake light—it can look a little odd, but that’s part of the point...get the attention of those behind you before they run into you.

Reactions: Hilldweller

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Sports can have all four spots, all four wide beam, or split, as pictured in your link (there’s also a work/scene lense). You can change out the lenses on Baja Designs; you can also choose clear or Amber lenses. They just came out with an SAE version, but you can’t swap lenses due to SAE regulations.

I have a pair of sports in my bumper, wide beam amber lenses, and they are brighter than my OEM LED headlights. I am going to swap out to the SAE lights though because I like to use them in actual fog on the highway, and they will definitely blind on-coming traffic.

The Pros put out more lumens, but I think only the LP series lights have high/low option. I have a pair of LP6s on my bumper.

I occasionally have to drive in thick fog. For me, the value of a fog light is being seen by others on the road, more than me being able to see through the fog. A good bright amber light really helps others see you coming, while limiting the light refracting in front you, hurting your own ability to see.

I’d like to set up a nice rear fog too. Again it’s about being seen by others. A rear fog, for those that don’t know, is basically just like an illuminated brake light—it can look a little odd, but that’s part of the point...get the attention of those behind you before they run into you.
been to California (wife and I collect lighthouses) and I've never seen anything like that coastal fog! if I lived there I'd buy the best fog lights I could find! out here in Texas ... well... do they have humidity lights?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We have a winner. Gonna try these from The Long River We Sell Everything and It is Here Tomorrow company for $39.99. Hoping the halo can be made into a DRL. Hoping they don't leak. Hope they don't short out my electrical system! LOL Hoping if I ever go to California in my red beast they help me see!

Reports to follow.

Attachments

·
Grooving With A Pict
2,492 Posts
I soldered and heat shrinked them to factory wiring. I will try to take a pic for you tonight when it gets dark.
That's ok, the joining method is not in question just making sure you had to cut the factory plugs off. The picture shows bare wire on the lights so I assume you have to cut off the plugs. I just ordered some from Epray so I'll follow up once I get them installed. Thanks again for the suggestion. :)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I modded a set of 9011 bulbs to fit the fog lamps of my 09. Stock is a 9045 with a P20D socket. 1700 lumens vs 600. They oull 65 watts but the computer hasn't shut them down yet. Been running them for about two years now.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts