Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the Rugged Ridge tray and phone "arm" in my Jeep. The arm is breaking. It spread out wide and you put your phone in and then it springs back and clamps the phone. However the wings are breaking because my iPhone 11 is bigger than they ever anticipated something being hold there.

I can unscrew the arm ... and put what in there? Someone found a straight replacement that would go right in there and work with a bigger phone?

Here's what I have:

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I have the similar Rugged Ridge phone mount for a 2015 JK. I got the one with the wireless charging option, because I liked the idea of not having to plug the phone in on long drives. However, I discovered that it wouldn't hold my Samsung S7 in an Otterbox case, and the charging doesn't work through the case anyway. So, I replaced the phone mount part with this:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M063RC0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

to use with the Rugged Ridge mount. I am very happy with it. It has slightly curved jaws to fit a wide variety of thickness phones, and expands wide enough for me.

That said, if anyone would like the wireless charging phone mount, PM me and we can work out something. It uses a 12 mm ball (I think, whatever Garmin GPS mounts use) for mounting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I use the Ram X mount, with the arm and ball configuration I can switch between different vehicles and motorcycles. I've had to upgrade the "X" portion over the years to accommodate different phones

·
Commercial Member
182 Posts
I got this little gripper from Amazon. Says Arkon on it. The thing I like about is is that it screwed onto my rugged ridge mount (same size ball socket - - 7mm, I think), and it has edges that grip the phone. the edges hook around the phone and hold it very well.

With my rugged ridge mount the phone would be violently expelled from the hold on rough terrain. It wouldn't just fall, no. The tension from the springs on the rugged ridge holder would fling my phone randomly across the jeep, but only when I was doing some kind of maneuver that required my total attention!!

This new one hasn't let me down so far! I think it was around $12 or so on Amazon.

I have the Samsung Note 10 PLUS, so it's a huge phone..

Attachments

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,843 Posts
67Designs. Zero issues with mine with a Note 10, iPhone 7 and 11 plus it holds my new LG with an Otterbox case. Carbon fiber for mass bling effect.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Check out Marshalls/TJ Maxx, they have hundreds of phone mounts that have the same ball and socket mount. Can unscrew the crappy one Rugged Ridge uses and replace with a stronger grip one, or even a magnet one. And they're normally like $7.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I made mine by adding a 1" RAM style ball mount to the Rugged Ridge piece. I then took an aluminum arm/clamps designed for underwater photography & connected them to an ANKER wireless charger. I had the plastic RAM mounts/clamps but they broke after a year or so. I'm sure how tight I had to clamp them to keep it from moving had nothing to do with them breaking....

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts