Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of my brake upgrade and overhaul I bought refurbished/rebuilt front brake calipers. Got them at O’reillys. One thing I noticed was that the caliper pistons are Phenolic Polymer. Is this the same as OEM? Or are OEM steel pistons?

Anyone have experience with remanufactured calipers like this?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
They were all metal i have never seen plastic pistons but it dont surprise me that they went that cheap

·
Registered
452 Posts
According to an internet search . . .

'Phenolic Pistons. Caliper pistons are manufactured of phenolic plastic, aluminum or steel. "Phenolic" refers to a variety of hard plastic that is exceptionally strong and heat resistant. Phenolic pistons reduce heat transfer into the brake fluid, resist corrosion that could cause caliper binding and are lightweight.'

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,146 Posts
According to an internet search . . .

'Phenolic Pistons. Caliper pistons are manufactured of phenolic plastic, aluminum or steel. "Phenolic" refers to a variety of hard plastic that is exceptionally strong and heat resistant. Phenolic pistons reduce heat transfer into the brake fluid, resist corrosion that could cause caliper binding and are lightweight.'
New to me, but sounds like an improvement.

·
Super Moderator
12,951 Posts
New to me, but sounds like an improvement.
I agree! "Sounds" like an improvement. I'd be more convinced if Consumer reports did a head to head investigation of phenolic plastic vs aluminum vs steel.

Based on tophog's post, I wouldn't reject plastic pistons offhand. But... I'd plan on doing further research before using calipers with plastic pistons.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I've never seen phenolic pistons on a yj but the phenolic piston calipers on my diesel dually went over 300,000 miles before I replaced em

1 - 6 of 6 Posts