Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to find a replacement liftgate T-handle for my 95 YJ.

I can find every kind of replacement handle except the ones for a YJ...

Some of the suggestions I've seen say to use a basic garage door handle from the hardware store. Has anyone tried this? Did it work and how did you mount it since the screws to attach the YJ handle come from inside the liftgate.

I've also found them for CJ's but the mounting looks exactly like the garage door ones -- two screws from the inside of the handle. Has anybody tried one of these?

Do the handle for the CJ or the garage door just fit perfectly inside the mount for the YJ? If so, I guess I wouldn't even need to worry about the actual mounting bracket.

Any other thoughts / ideas? I've been watching eBay and Amazon for almost a year now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but it's the liftgate handle I'm looking for (the chrome T-handle), not the tailgate one.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I got mine from sportsmansguide.com. In their RV section,. you can get chrome or black and locking or non locking.

It has 2 bolts that go thru to the inside and you put nuts on them, you have to drill out the holes for the bolts to fit, but other than that its almost an exact match. Same style 1/4 square shaft which is too long, but can easily be cut to fit. I think it was like 10.99 when I got it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha ha, no prob :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, thanks -- we've got a ton of RV dealerships around here. I'll check some of them out first. (That will help me avoid the crazy shipping / duty prices online stores usually charge us north of the border....)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Not the original hardtop on your YJ, as they didn't have the T handles for 1995...the tailgate holds them closed and they pop open with gas shocks and stay up when you open the tailgate. I have a 1995 YJ that has never had the hard top removed since it was put on by the factory. It's been a plow jeep all it's life since purchased. CJ's had handles on the hard top with the side locks on cables/chains to lock them closed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm, I wonder if I've got a mixture then? My hardtop has the other YJ features, like the side vents so it seems to be an actual YJ hardtop. Maybe the liftgate is from a CJ? I have to open the tailgate before I can open the liftgate.

I was looking at this thread which clearly shows the YJ having no handle, but my hardtop looks like the YJ hardtop but with a different liftgate.

The differences between a CJ7 and a YJ hardtop - Jeep-CJ Forums

1 - 9 of 9 Posts